add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Safe Overclock Voltages for 24/7 purposes?

lolkrayd

65 months ago

I bought a 4770k awhile ago and was planning to leave the comp on 24/7.

Now I can safely get to

4.3 @ 1.18

4.4 @ 1.25

4.5 @ 1.29

without going pass 75c on Aida64

I plan on replacing this setup after 3-5 years From what I know a combination of high voltage and temp will reduce cpu life, but if I only intend to keep my 4770k for 3-5years would 4.5ghz @ 1.29V be fine?

Comments

• 65 months ago
  • 2 points

M2C for what it is worth..

If you are chasing #'s (benchmarks) I would find your max stable OC, save that setting in the BIOS and then set it back to stock settings. In your usage, I don't see where you would benefit from using a high OC 24/7 and possibly abusing the components. You could use that saved BIOS when gaming for example but then revert back to stock the rest of the time.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

I see thanks so much for your inputs

• 65 months ago
  • 0 points

Basically any thing above stock is going to be technically risky.

When you "on" 24/7, will it be working ( Folding, SETI or something) or just on and idling.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Usually half the time it would be in use for either school work or movie/gaming

~compiling code: ~variety of games ~netflix

other times when I am not present it will be

Finishing up a download/update/running system check or it will be plainly idling

I guess a better question is

if you were to overclock it and leave it on all the time, would going from 4.3 @ 1.18v have any more risk than 4.5@1.29? the difference between the temps is ~3c when load is present

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube