PCPartPicker

• Register

Is EVGA the only card manufacturer with constant boost clock modes? (K-boost)

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

FurryJackman 20 months ago

I'm looking to get a GTX 1080 11Gbps card and EVGA only offers a BIOS update to take advantage of the speed boost to existing cards and cannot guarantee stability at those memory clocks. Do other manufacturers offer something similar to EVGA's K-boost?

Comments Sorted by:

Chillsabre 2 Builds 1 point 20 months ago

Its the Pascal Architecture.

Basically, the cards have a base and boost clock and the new architecture will boosts itself even further if the cooling, power limit and temp target allows it.

Cards with better cooling usually performs better but to be honest, they usually all end up within the same ballpark with a few frames between one another.

Hybrid cards have the lowest temps and the least noise generated where air cooled cards are cheaper and feature 0db operation which is unlikely to ever happen with hybrid ones.

FurryJackman submitter 3 Builds 1 point 20 months ago

I mean more for clock stability. I'm a person that believes switching clock speeds too often can cause black screen issues and crashes. K-boost allows the card to remain at boost clock so that it doesn't change clocks too much.

nVidia Inspector can put a hard cap limit on the frames produced by a video card thus limiting the output of it and reducing the card's clock for the reduced demands in performance.

Uh, I mean zero downclocking from boost clock, which is what the card defaults to in K-boost mode on EVGA cards. It stays at the highest boost clock until power or temperature limits kick in.

That just burns more power and generates more heat than needed. The cards we have nowadays are very efficient in managing their boost clocks for the performance required although their fan curves tend to be pretty conservatives for accoustic reasons.

So if I get an ASUS STRIX, it's fine to just not use Afterburner other than for fan speed curves?

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 20 months ago

I'm a person that believes switching clock speeds too often can cause black screen issues and crashes.

Not how it works. Clock speeds have ZERO effect on that.

FWIW, it was that case with Fermi. I also disabled HDMI audio out of habit cause that was also a source of black screen crashes.

[comment deleted]