PCPartPicker

• Register

Lowest latency 39''-42'' UHD TV for use as monitor?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

FurryJackman 20 months ago

Right now, 27'' and 32'' is too small for my uses for a UHD monitor for my rig. I'm planning a move to either a GTX 1080 or 1080 Ti and I need a good TV that has low input latency in UHD, with HDMI 2.0b. I'm looking at Samsung options but I have no clue how their input latency fairs. Anyone with experience on this front?

Comments Sorted by:

Shakaron 5 Builds 1 point 20 months ago

What is your use case? Gaming?

TVs usually do not list input lag, even less frequently than monitors do. So good luck finding it. :) There are sites that do measurements, but they mostly do monitors, not TVs as far as I know.

You can ask the manufacturer, but when I asked for the input lag for my TV the manufacturer (was not Samsung though) told me, they do not measure it.

You're looking for input lag, right? Not response time?

FurryJackman submitter 3 Builds 1 point 20 months ago

Yeah, some TVs have a game mode that puts less post-processing enhancing response to input lag. What I'm looking for is a UHD TV that supports 4K 60hz HDMI 2.0b with a game mode and the least measured input latency.

[comment deleted by staff]

Alright, I'm going to have to settle for a G-sync 32'' 4K monitor then, and there's only one from Acer in the Predator series.

Chillsabre 2 Builds 1 point 20 months ago

The problems with TVs aside from the issues already mentioned with the lack of measurements is the FPS they claim to display isnt a true number. They usually display around 30 frames per second and uses tricks to increase this by adding extra frames in between each ones to increase the amount of frames.

When watching a movie, the motion blur helps keeps things smooth as the movie will always have a constant frame rate and its easy to predict where a mass will move next. In a gaming situation, its quite different and if you experience any frame drops, you will get stutters and might have screen tearing too.

Personally, I would recommend against playing using a TV and would look at the new super wide HDR quantum dots monitors instead that were recently released although theyre likely to be very expensive.

Um... They do display 60 if you enable gaming mode and turn off all the interpolation BS. (I know about "the soap opera effect", I'm just looking for a TV with both low latency mode and ability to turn off "true motion" or whatever buzzword they used for interpolation.)

They just don't offer "computer monitors" in that size that are UHD. And worse yet, I deal with Amazon Canada and their availability is crap.

There we go, that Viewsonic looks incredibly enticing.