add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU Passes Paperclip Test But Still Won't Start?

Tytanyx
  • 33 months ago

So I've had my PC for almost a year. It's my first build. A few days ago, it went into sleep mode after not being in use for a while, but this time it wouldn't turn on. I tried turning the PSU off and on but the PC still wouldn't start. I took the PSU out and used the self test kit that was included, which basically works like the paperclip test. The test showed that the PSU did in fact turn on and the fans were spinning, even after leaving it on for about a minute. Note, this was the first time I saw the fans actually spin because when I first built this PC, I didn't start it up until I assembled everything. The fans looked like they were spinning at the speed they were supposed to and it didn't look like it was struggling. I tried plugging it back into the PC, but it still wouldn't turn on. I tried using a screwdriver to turn it on in case the case switches may have broken, and again no success. There were still no fan spins from either the PSU, case and CPU fans and the motherboard and GPU lights were not on at all. I disconnected my HDD and SSD and unplugged the power from the GPU and tried to turn the PC on again and still no success. I did do it a bit lazily since the USB 3.0 and HD Audio and case fan were still plugged in, as well as the GPU still was attached to the mobo though it didn't have the PSU plugs in. Part of me thinks that it may be a motherboard failure, but I am still thinking it may be a PSU problem. Anyone know how to deal with this issue?

This is the link to my build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NzHPkT

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

Hey guys, just an update on the issue. It was in fact the motherboard failing. The PSU is just fine and by replacing the motherboard, the PC was able to turn on and get on to Windows with everything just the way I left it.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

It is a common misconception that the little bridge adapter that comes with power supplies will provide proof that the PSU is working when that is not necessarily correct. You have no way of telling if the 12V+ is actually running at 12V or 11V or even 10V. Just because a few low powered lights and fans turn on isn't a clear indication either.

If you have questions about the PSU you have 2 options. Get a proper tester that will tell you what your voltages are as well as amps or get another PSU and see what happens. There are no other options.

[comment deleted]
  • 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with this. It's my conclusion as well.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube