add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
tydowntyty

24 months ago

My PC is running Unraid with 2 Windows VMs and I want to make my VMs more secure.

Requirements are as follows:

• Run on Unraid or Windows.

• Does not cause lag. (I installed Norton once and one of my favorite games went from running at 60 fps to 10 fps.)

• Free

• Reputable

• Better than what's built into Windows 10

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as your computer isn't a potato, Comodo Firewall is a good firewall engine(If you're advanced in that stuff, and would like more advanced settings), if you're not, I don't know about that. But Bitdefender Free Antivirus is great for free use, it is very simple, and quite good, one of the cons of it though is the scan is based mostly on cloud performance(your internet). You should try bitdefender free, and comodo firewall(again... if you're advanced enough).

I'm not sure about unraid(I highly doubt it), but these products are compatible with windows.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

So bitdefender has files scanned in the cloud?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds good. Thanks!

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome :)

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Try Malwarebytes - there's a 30-day free premium trial, but what you want it for is the free scanning utility - almost all computer enthusiasts swear by it.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Only having MBAM Free is not recommended by me, since it doesn't have real-time protection. It's a good software to have alongside with real-time antivirus software(s), as well as other on-demand scanners. :-) If you have multiple protection softwares (on-demand or real-time), add exclusions of the other protection softwares - in each protection software.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Malwarebytes is so overrated. Unless someone puts it with an antivirus(a really good one), it's completely useless. Their realtime protection when you buy it isn't that good. Detection rates are below average, and in general, Malwarebytes is meant for a second-hand scanner, not a main AV. Also the price people pay for it, for that garbage protection, is quite trash.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes!!! My point is that you want the scanner, not the protection.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I guess you can have it. But I'd recommend hitmanpro for that purpose.

www.hitmanpro.com

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, Malwarebytes Free is the most well known, but I will look into hitman!

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

The scanner is a great tool to add to the layers of protection.

I haven't even once considered buying MBAM since they did away with their cheap lifetime licenses. There are a ton of better paid products, and some excellent free products, that do the job of paid MBAM better.

[comment deleted]
  • 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Immunet is horrible. Their realtime protection and scanning technology is way outdated and complete trash. Their user interface also lacks settings, and looks quite outdated.

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Immunet uses 2 Cisco engines for malware protection, that is SPERO & ETHOS. Are these combined, bad? That's news to me since I've never heard that before.

ClamAV sure is horrible though and should be disabled! That is something I've realized after using the software for a while!

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Are the 2 cisco engines enabled by default?

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

They are!

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Well then it's not that good. Look at some video reviews online.

Malware Blocker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWfuMWuByOE

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube