add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Good air cooler for FX overclocking.

tydowntyty

28 months ago

Im looking to overclock my FX-8320e. Im hoping to OC it up to 5GHz or higher. I did get it up to 4.4GHz and running stable but it ended up overheating after 4 hours of use. I was looking at air coolers because my case does not have anywhere to put a water cooler.

While I was looking at coolers though I realised I dont know what makes a cooler a good cooler. If you could tell me that would be awesome.

Check list:

I really would like it to be at most $20 but I will deal with up to $50.

Able to cool up to possibly a 300-400 watt load.

Quiet would be nice but no louder than the stock cooler (Not the wraith).

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

You are insane if you think you can do 5Ghz+ on a 8320E which will output more heat than a FX 9590 which is already a **** ton and on top of it all on a $20 cooler, you will need the best HSF on the market for a hope to get to 5Ghz+ which means you will need to spend at least $50 if not close to ~$80 and you would want to throw on a pair of Delta fans which is literally as loud as vacuum cleaner since you will need all of the cooling you can get.

You are going to need a $300+ custom loop/exotic cooling plus a new case for what you want and at that point you might as well get a Ryzen 1400 or better.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Im just trying to use what I have. I dont have alot of money if any for upgrading my PC.

If I were to upgrade to Ryzen im looking at 16GBs of RAM on one chip (I would want another later on and hopefully get to 64GBs one day), ATX motherboard (Probably Gigabyte because of the dual bios has saved me alot), and an 8 core Ryzen that I can OC to 4GHz (or higher) but I dont have infinite money. For now im stuck with an FX.

Now back to the previous topic. I dont need ice cold temps but I do want to not be overheating.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

What you want is just not possible with your budget. You are likely talking about 300W+ of heat but can only spend up to $50, its just not going to work. There is no way around this. Even a high end AIO would have a good chance of not meeting your needs.

Just save up money for a new CPU,RAM, and motherboard since you really have nothing worthwhile you can do. Even if you got a better cooler and got to like 4.8Ghz or even 4.9Ghz it will still be lack luster performance wise. That $50 would be much better off going towards a upgrade.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually the processor is perfectly fine at 4GHz. I'm doing this to pull what ever extra speed I can get out of it. The voltage for 4.4GHz was about 1.54v and I calculate the TDP to be 183 watts. It also made it 4 hours with the stock cooler under a pretty basic load. I was going to stress it but then I saw a new RvB episode and then I went off listening to music on YouTube for the rest of the 4 hours. I could see what would be stable VCore is for 5GHz and maybe that could help with a decision. Not all processors are made equally maybe I could get lucky and have similar power usage when compared to a FX-9xxx.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

The voltage for 4.4GHz was about 1.54v and I calculate the TDP to be 183 watts.

If you are already at 1.54V you have no safe voltage headroom since the max safe is 1.55V. You would start going into the danger zone. Also I forgot to mention you will want a very high end board for that much voltage, the FX CPU's are no joke when it comes to power phases and VRM heatsinks. Depending on your board I would actually suggest downclocking and lower the voltage so the board doesn't fry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zTzpYjQ2MM

http://www.overclock.net/a/about-vrms-mosfets-motherboard-safety-with-high-tdp-processors

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-motherboard-voltage-regulator-circuit/

I could see what would be stable VCore is for 5GHz and maybe that could help with a decision.

There is zero chance that you will be able to get to 5Ghz on the stock cooler. Even a top of the line HSF would struggle with this on a FX 8230E. You are already overheating something at only 4.4Ghz at a massive 1.54V.

Not all processors are made equally maybe I could get lucky and have similar power usage when compared to a FX-9xxx.

Yes but chances that it very likely won't happen since with the FX 8230E and other low leakage FX CPU's once you hit ~4.7Ghz you need usually need to start doing very large voltage bumps and will end up outputting more heat than a FX 9590 at the same speed.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol. Damn Vagabond, tell him how you really feel. Harsh. True, but harsh.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube