add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My brand new build randomly restarts!

freshocidy
  • 33 months ago

I built a desktop using partspicker and this is the build

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6zbYKZ

GPU- EVGA – Ge Force GTX 1050 Ti 4GB gaming ACX 2.0 Video Card CPU – Intel i5-7500 Motherboard- MSI-B250I Gaming Pro AC mini ITX LGA1151 Noctua – NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler G.Skill – Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4- 2400 Memory Seagate- Momentus 1TB 2.5” 5400RPm Internal Had Drive SanDisk -SSD Plus 120GB 2.5” SSD PSU- Corsair- CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Thermaltake – Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit Samsung- S24D300H 24,0” 1920x1080 60hz Monitor

Any clue what is going on. It randomly restarts. Sometimes when I am on web, sometimes when I am playing game, and someone times when the computer is just sitting idle. It will go all day without it happeneing and then it will happen over and over again after 3 or 4 minutes after restarting.

Please help

Winterk@ywamsf.org

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Look to make sure the CPU is not overheating. That will cause the CPU to shut down to prevent damage.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

When it restarts, what exactly happens? Doe stay off and you need to press the power button? Does it require 'waiting' of any kind? Does the OS indicate a crash or anything? Does the preboot (BIOS) screen provide any info?

Based on the frequency, you may want to re-mount the cooler. Sake of argument, did you apply thermal paste and/or remove the plastic cover that is usually on the cooler? Which cooler are you using?

A couple of other ideas, are all the fans running? Do you hear/see the fans spin up?

My guess is that it's overheating (so I agree with Captaincow285 (awesome name)

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you!

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

WHen it happens which is probably every 20 minutes at this point it just restarts goes back to password screen. I dont have to push anything. The event viewer gives me kernel 41 task 63 everytime. The cooler we installed is- Noctua – NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler. We used the high end thermal paste. I have downloaded a bunch of computer temp checkers. Everything is nice and cool no signs of overheating. All fans are working. The case even is very open so it gets a lot of air. I do live in Cambodia where it is warm and very humid. I highly doubt though that anything is overheating. My theory is maybe its the PSU. My corsair 450w Bronze is a good psu and it should cover all the components but I still wonder if putting a higher watt psu would help. Maybe a motherboard problem. I have gone into the bios though and nothing seems out of the ordinary. I am at a total loss. Their are so many thread out their like this it just makes me wonder. Any other thoughts?

Thanks for the reply by the way,

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, given the info you provided I would wonder if it's the PSU as well.

If possible replace or test that but I think you are doing what you need. Eliminating ideas. The PSU would be the next thing to check....

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

It is possible that the issue is your RAM. Download this: http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm and follow instructions on how to run it. I would suggest once you are in the memtest program that you set the number of CPU's to 1 just to be sure there are no issues.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube