add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Custom Cooling Loop: Factor in GPU Temp

FrankV01
  • 36 months ago

I have a custom cooling loop on my computer -- EKWB based. Installed about a week ago thus far. Works great, far better than the h100i v2 I had before.

But, in considering adding my GPU, how does a custom cooling loop respond to rise in load on the GPU?

One idea I received is to install a liquid temperature probe in my cooling loop and then configure the system to respond to that. Looking for other ideas or insight in ones' experience with this.

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Good thing about GPU's is they transfer heat pretty well to blocks, so usually you do not get a massive delta over water temp. If they do then usually means there is something more wrong within the loop itself which means bigger issues.

Anyways, as one may imagine, adding the GPU or any block to the loop will increase the water temp if fans are running at the same rate as they were prior.

But yep, your last answer is the way I manage by loops. I use temperature probes within the loop and have the fans adjust based on water temp. Usually means the fan profiles are more smoother thanks to the way the water temp increases and decreases fairly smoothly. You would need a header or module to read the information from of course for such a sensor / probe. In the event you can only control via GPU or CPU temp, I usually go for CPU. In my experience, the CPU is usually running slightly warmer then a GPU in most cases which as mentioned has a pretty consistent delta over ambient. Just ensure to put in delays for fan spin up and spin down times so it does not changed based on quick load bursts on the CPU.

Just my two cents.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, I appreciate the info and insight. You mentioned fans but never the pump. Do you arrange it so pump speed increases a bit in the same situations or do you run the pump at a constant rate?

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Indeed, I keep the pump at a constant speed once I have the sweet spot for the loop. Usually a nice spot between sufficient flow rate and keeping noise down and no need to change from there. May be able to shave a degree or so off between a sweet spot flow rate and ramping it up when under load, but nothing significant and worth the extra noise IMO.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool. Thank you again for the insight.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube