add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Fx or i5

Racer2k5x

29 months ago

So I'm just wondering out of boredom what would you go with an 8 core fx processor or a kabylake i5 and why?

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

There is literally zero reason to go FX anymore since when it comes to gaming Intel beats it at every price point and AMD Ryzen crushes it at heavily multithreaded tasks along with gaming too.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

What about for a budget build?

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

What I said above still applies, they are a all around horrible option no what matter what your budget is. Also on top of it all they have a awful upgrade path and are stuck with DRR 3 RAM and generally less modern features on the motherboards.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 29 months ago
  • 2 points

there is no point in going with the ancient FX architecture.

I can agree, however If you're on a tight budget and upgrading from something like a Phenom or FX 4XXX then a cheap FX 8 Core will hold you over as they're still pretty decent. If you're upgrading your whole system though, Ryzen or Kaby Lake will be much better.

I always say about the FX chips, that if they were so bad as everyone claims, then no one would've bought them, including me. There's nothing wrong with them, it all depends on the situation in which you're buying it at the current time.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

What about for a budget build?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube