add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How fast is the RX 580?

SuperStormling
  • 34 months ago

How fast is this GPU? Can it run 4k on most games? And finally,does the VRAM make a difference?

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/KQQRsY/gigabyte-radeon-rx-580-8gb-gaming-8g-video-card-gv-rx580gaming-8gd

CANADIAN...

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

How fast is this GPU?

It's just as fast as any other GPU - as fast as the CPU can feed it or as fast as the monitor can display it.

With any modern gaming GPU, you can have as much performance as you want up to the limits of the CPU or monitor refresh rate.

In actual implementation, the GPU does not set any hard limits on performance. It will set a hard limit on what visual quality settings and resolution you can handle, but functionally the hard-limits for performance come from the CPU and monitor refresh. The only time we see GPU's being the hard limits on performance is when the GPU is SEVERELY under-powered for modern gaming.... Like integrated graphics or old GPU's, or HTPC oriented GPU's. If you buy any modern Gaming GPU, it won't impose any hard performance limits.

Can it run 4k on most games?

Technically, yes. If we interpret "most games" literally, yes, in the history of all PC games, the vast majority made over the years will run at 4K on this GPU pretty well. It will only be visually intensive games of the last few yeas where 4K may be a struggle.

One thing that's pretty slick though, is that since 4K monitors have such high resolution, there's no need to run Anti-Aliasing. We can shut this off and recover a lot of lost rendering power. In many game engines, 4K without post processing is pretty similar to 1440P with post processing... Worst case scenario, 1080P can be run on 4K without any interpolation.

And finally,does the VRAM make a difference?

I would argue that by the time you are running texture detail levels and resolution levels and post processing settings high enough to use more than 4GB VRAM, the render throughput is going to be bottle-necked to below most peoples ideal FPS goals. That being said, the VRAM headroom is worth $20 if that's all the gap there is. If the difference is $40 or more, then I'd probably spend that elsewhere or pocket it.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Its out of stock, you are going to have to get a GTX 1060.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice try but I'M CANADIAN :/

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

?

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

It's available in Canada

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

No it's not, check the sites.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok,you are right.But i'm gonna wait for the AMD Vega.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Is Overwatch a dx 12 title?

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

No, DX11 but regardless, it's not a demanding game.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Well for most 6GB 1060's,I have a range of 331-400$ while for the 580,I have from 329-410$

Get my two list choices here: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/SuperStormling/saved/

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

When is the Vega gonna be released?

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help! I'm probably gonna wait,July isn't that far away.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube