add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

WiFi adapters keep disconnecting

bblmaster
  • 34 months ago

I have tried no less then 3 wireless adapters in my built PC, and I have experienced connectivity problems with all of them; the hardware will be lost from the computer (as if it has been disconnected), sometimes in as little as 10 minutes after booting; other times it will be fine for hours, sometimes just disconnecting and reconnecting the usb adapter fixes the issue. The one's I've tried are:

Netgear WNA3100 N300 usb adapter TP-Link TL-WN881ND N300 pcie adapter Don't recall the third one, it was briefly used and some sort of usb adapter

I recognize these were cheap adapters, which may be the problem, but I find it hard to believe they would all be so poor. I am wondering if it is perhaps some other hardware or software issue or something else. I have directly wired my PC with no problems, and my wireless network offers no problems with other devices on the network; the location is not an issue either as other devices in the area have no problem maintaining connection.

Anyway, I was hoping for any opinions on similar issues people have had, or suggestions on a wireless adapter that has worked for them; at this point, I'm a little hesitant on buying another if it will have the same problems. Currently running Windows 10.

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the connection dropped or is the hardware being lost to the computer? Very different issues. If it's that the connection is dropped, you probably need a better wireless device or get a hub and set it up high and plug the wifi card in there.

I use an internal wifi card on 5GHz in my build and have had no problem (It has an external antenna which I sought specifically). I'm surprised that the TP-Link TL-WN881ND N300 PCI-E didn't work for you but... Was everything plugged directly into the tower or otherwise near other electronics? If so, they may be getting interference from the tower and/or monitor(s) depending on how you position everything.

Try to use a USB hub & wifi card and move it high and away from other electrics. This should make a noticeable difference especially if you are using 2.4 Ghz.

Although, use 5 Ghz if at all possible. I'd even say that a 4-bar 5 GHz connection is better than a 5-bar 2.4 Ghz connection. There is a lot less interference on the 5 Ghz channels than 2.4

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Apologies for not specifying: the hardware is lost to the computer, as if it has been disconnected. The signal is fine. When I use the usb adapter, all I would do is just disconnect it and reconnect it to fix it, but it would again repeat the problems. When using the PCI-e adapter, it would usually require heading to device manager and disabling and enabling the device to get it to work, but again the problems would just repeat. I edited my original post to reflect this

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

That sounds like a driver crash but it's surprising that it happens to three different devices. You might consider reinstalling windows. (which version of Windows, btw?)

Before you do that, however, go through and update all of your motherboard and component drivers. Even if unrelated -- GPU, soundcard, any hardware drivers you can find. Update them. My thinking is some unrelated crash might be affecting the driver for the WiFi cards.

Frankly, this seems like a possible symptom of a larger issue....

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I have figured it's a driver crash, I just can't figure out what's causing it. I'm running Windows 10, which was newly installed right before I started using the Netgear adapter. I have looked into troubleshooting the adapters, and have read people say the issue is probably poor adapter drivers, who have had similar problems with the adapters. I'll try updating other component drivers and see if that helps.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

My router does have a 5 GHz band, all the adapters I've used have only been 2.4 Ghz so very well could be the problem. But my other laptop and PS4 both connect through the 2.4 GHz and they have never had problems. Regardless I do need a new adapter, thanks for the suggestions!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube