add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need some feedback/confirmation for my PSU adequacy.

Knightinbrightarmor

32 months ago

So, I've been experiencing some BSOD's during gaming. Primarily Doom, but I haven't played another AAA title other than that recently since it started happening. I've made no recent changes to my hardware, and it doesn't seem to happen on less intensive titles such as Killing Floor 2. Browsing, and editing it flies through. I was live streaming while gaming so that may have put more stress than normal on the system. I did a Windows Memory Diagnostic for what that is worth and it did not come up with any errors. My GPU is not overclocked other than what the card came with. MY CPU however, is to 4.7 GHZ. I used ASUS optimization software to do it and it's been handling it well.

So tell me is a 600 Watt power supply adequate for: i5 4690k overclocked to 4.7/8 on 2/2 cores. GTX 980ti Amp Omega ASUS Z97-A MOBO with I/O jammed full of USB peripherals.

I've done the obvious and put my system as accurately as I could into multiple calculators. It's varied from 100W-50W under my PSU's rated output. Seeing as how it's just a normal ol' CX600 non-modular PSU, I'd say it's not quite doing it's job.

In my defense before anyone blasts me, I got this for a good deal from my brother out of his system when first getting into PC building when I had much different parts in my case. I wasn't planning for the 980ti. :P

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/7sZRsY

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

EVGA G3

EVGA G2

Corsair RMx

Quality Matters More than Wattage

• 32 months ago
  • 0 points

Gotchya. Went ahead and went with a EVGA 750W that's coming in the mail today anyways. More accurate calculation put my system at 600W anyways which my power supply was rated at. That, coupled with the hotter summer temperatures causes the system to crash under load. Hopefully this solves it. Fingers crossed!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube