add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
rhali8
  • 35 months ago

So, my sister is wanting to a PC for:

• Gaming (Mainly minecraft but I will try to get her horizons expanded)
  • Rendering (Graphics work)
  • Video editing (She wants to record videos)
  • Streaming
  • Schoolwork

She's got ~$1100, but less spent is better. And that's $1100 total, including monitor, keyboard, headset and microphone. One thing to note is that we already have about 820GB worth of HDDs, and a 120GB Samsung SSD lying around, so for storage she's fine. Also she has a mouse, so no need for that either. OS will be taken care of very uh.. legally. I just need all of your opinions on what build is better for her situation.

The 1st build is the one that we'll be actually be building. Here is the list. (This is all in AUD)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $239.00 @ Shopping Express
Motherboard MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $119.00 @ Shopping Express
Memory GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $158.00 @ IJK
Video Card MSI - Radeon RX 480 4GB GAMING X Video Card $275.00 @ Umart
Case Corsair - Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case $65.00 @ PCCaseGear
Power Supply Silverstone - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $55.00 @ Umart
Optical Drive Asus - DRW-24D5MT DVD/CD Writer $18.00 @ Shopping Express
Wireless Network Adapter Asus - PCE-N15 PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter $17.00 @ Shopping Express
Case Fan Corsair - Air Series AF120 Red 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan $16.00 @ Umart
Case Fan Corsair - Air Series AF120 Red 52.2 CFM 120mm Fan $16.00 @ Umart
Other 320GB WD Blue 7200RPM 3.5" HDD Purchased
Other 500GB WD Blue 7200RPM 3.5" HDD Purchased
Other Samsung 650 EVO 120GB 2.5" SSD Purchased
Other BenQ RL2755HM 27" Gaming Monitor $70.00
Other Thermaltake TTe Talon Gaming Mouse Purchased
Other Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard $10.00
Other Steelseries Gaming Headset $35.00
Other STADIUM USB Studio Microphone $50.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1143.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-14 19:25 AEST+1000

The second option is to buy a PC used, and then purchase the monitor, keyboard, headset and microphone seperate. We'll also throw in the SSD and HDDs into that build to increase the storage even more. Here is a link to the PC. To simplify it, it comes with:

• i5 4690K @4.6GHz
  • CM Hyper 212 EVO Cooler
  • MSI Z97 Motherboard
  • 16GB of DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz
  • 1TB HDD
  • R9 290X w/ Custom cooler, overclocked
  • 650W PSU (Antec Modular)
  • Sleeved cables

What are your opinions? I feel like the first is better though, but she wants all of your opinions. Thanks guys!

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

In general newer is a better option and the new AMD ryzen CPUs are looking like really good deals. You should look at benchmarks on youtube to see how well the CPU and GPU perform in different tasks. The build guides on this site are also really helpful and are a great place to see lots of opinions on different builds at different price points. Personally i would definitely go with ryzen at this point.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube