add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Maximus IX Extreme is Bios 0801 to 0906 Malfunctioning

khmergod

29 months ago

I updated one of my bios from 0801 to 0906, but now that bios isn't posting. Q code is A9 which is for startup, but like I said, not posting. When I flashed the bios, everything seemed fine. It flashed then restarted like always. I have 6 Asus motherboards so this isn't the first time, but the first time where I have trouble afterwards. The secondary bios of 0801 is posting correctly. Can't seem to make 0906 bios post. Spammed del key, changed ram, etc. I might have bricked one of the bios. Is it possible to usb flashback it without getting into bios?

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Found this on another forum:

pull the gpu if your mb has oneboard video and see if it posts. before you do pull the gpu use the usb flashback and put the newest bios file on the mb to rule out a bios bug.

might give that a try. If it works, not sure what route you would need to go, maybe flashy back or reset bios to stock parameters.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

was able to get it working by repeatedly resetting, powering on, retry button, mem ok button. On initial boot on error screen before bios, it noted to set sata to raid optane mode or issues can occur. after posting to bios, i set sata to raid/optane, posts every time now.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

You may want to reflash via USB BIOS FLASHBACK. Which to answer your question yes you can flash regardless of whether the board's posts. I would need to check but if there was a MEI firmware update that was applying it may not have started this process. Usually you see a message upon reboot that the firmware is continuing with a secondary update.

Not sure if you set the board to defaults prior to flashing but it is advise you always do so especially if you have some type of OC in play as this can cause issue if there are changes to the MRC ( memory tuning parts of the UEFI when it attempts to repost ).

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the tips. Board was brand new and was in stock config when I updated bios. I try to always update to the newest non beta bios before doing anything.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Have a look at the Asus IX forums https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?291-Maximus-IX-amp-Strix-Motherboards-(Z270) There is a thread about the 0906 bios update. Thread is named New Z270 BIOS 0906

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks had to bookmark that. very informative.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Your welcome, glad I could help.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube