add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Xbox Scorpio "benches"

Bran_Flakes

32 months ago

While browsing the wasteland of Facebook, I came across this article about the new xbox.

It's been a few months since this topic was first brought out and discussed, so has any opinions changed since we now supposedly have evidence of the new xbox playing at native 4K, or do you believe it will be the normal hype and buildup with new tech releases, just to fall short once it goes out to the consumer market?

Personally I don't think will hold out to the market, but what about you?

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm expecting most games to enter the realm of 2560x1440-3200x1800 like the PS4 Pro.
So, I'm expecting a PS4 Pro situation.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I remember the hype for that was real too. I'm kind of expecting a similar situation.

• 32 months ago
  • 2 points

I think it'd be more like the PS4 Pro than people think. Some game will reach native 4k, they'll use some sort of checkboard rendering to get 1800P or 2160P and some games will just operate somewhere in the middle of 1440P-1800P. Regardless of what most people say though, as a PS4 Pro owner myself, I love it and if the Scropio can deliver similar or better results that's great. It'll look great on my TV.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Its probably is going to only run a few games at native 4K and the rest will be upscaled. What I am dissapointed about is it still has that potato of a CPU, it will still have a hard time getting 60FPS in some games, and is going to hold game devs back from making CPU heavy games.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Are there benchmarks/specs for that CPU anywhere? All I can find from my quick Google search is that it's an 8-core 2.3GHz unit, but no real info.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

From what I can tell, it's basically an overclocked version of what the Xbox One's CPU is but there's a lot of specific optimizations, mainly at the software level.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting. Imagine what it would be like if PC hardware could get those special optimizations....lol

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_(microarchitecture)

Its based on a low power architecture from AMD from 2013. In other words its crap. Even with optimization it can flop hard. In JC3 which is heavy on the CPU when things start blowing up and you start playing with Physics in dips down into the teens and the 20's on the PS4 Pro which has a similar CPU to the Scorpio.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I will bet REAL money that the scorpio's GPU will be slightly more powerful than than 480.

RX 480 - 36 compute units, scorpio, 40.

RX 480 has 5.8 TF, scorpio has 6.

IM TELLING YOU THATS HOW ITS GONNA BE

(i think)

[comment deleted]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

A GPU with 12GB of vram seems a lot bigger than seen before in consoles, if I'm not mistaken. This may result in relatively high release prices(which isn't a first though).

They use that VRAM as system RAM too so really its not a lot. Its like 3GB for the OS iirc, and then that leaves 9GB left for it to split up.

[comment deleted]
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Now of course this is 4k, so Scorpio might be targeted more at 1080p and 1440p than at native 4k performance, which would totally invalidate its biggest selling point.

This is my mind of thinking right now. Everyone I've talked to is hyped beyond belief that they'll be able to play games at native 4k without any problems or having anything lowered, and I just don't feasibly see that happening.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube