• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Bran_Flakes 24 months ago

While browsing the wasteland of Facebook, I came across this article about the new xbox.

It's been a few months since this topic was first brought out and discussed, so has any opinions changed since we now supposedly have evidence of the new xbox playing at native 4K, or do you believe it will be the normal hype and buildup with new tech releases, just to fall short once it goes out to the consumer market?

Personally I don't think will hold out to the market, but what about you?

Comments Sorted by:

lisa_simpson 2 points 24 months ago

I'm expecting most games to enter the realm of 2560x1440-3200x1800 like the PS4 Pro.
So, I'm expecting a PS4 Pro situation.

Bran_Flakes submitter 1 Build 1 point 24 months ago

I remember the hype for that was real too. I'm kind of expecting a similar situation.

Kenjionigod 1 Build 2 points 24 months ago

I think it'd be more like the PS4 Pro than people think. Some game will reach native 4k, they'll use some sort of checkboard rendering to get 1800P or 2160P and some games will just operate somewhere in the middle of 1440P-1800P. Regardless of what most people say though, as a PS4 Pro owner myself, I love it and if the Scropio can deliver similar or better results that's great. It'll look great on my TV.

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 24 months ago

Its probably is going to only run a few games at native 4K and the rest will be upscaled. What I am dissapointed about is it still has that potato of a CPU, it will still have a hard time getting 60FPS in some games, and is going to hold game devs back from making CPU heavy games.

Are there benchmarks/specs for that CPU anywhere? All I can find from my quick Google search is that it's an 8-core 2.3GHz unit, but no real info.

lisa_simpson 1 point 24 months ago

From what I can tell, it's basically an overclocked version of what the Xbox One's CPU is but there's a lot of specific optimizations, mainly at the software level.

Interesting. Imagine what it would be like if PC hardware could get those special optimizations....lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_(microarchitecture)

Its based on a low power architecture from AMD from 2013. In other words its crap. Even with optimization it can flop hard. In JC3 which is heavy on the CPU when things start blowing up and you start playing with Physics in dips down into the teens and the 20's on the PS4 Pro which has a similar CPU to the Scorpio.

SilverWolf149 1 point 24 months ago

Short excerpt from the article

The headlines? Combining smart design with sheer horsepower, Project Scorpio hits the six-teraflop target set for it as E3 last year, thanks to a custom GPU that has been designed from the ground up for optimal performance on today's game engines - and that runs at an unprecedentedly high clock speed for a console. The GPU is paired with 12GB of fast GDDR5 memory and a custom eight-core CPU, and the whole thing is housed in a compact body with integrated power supply and, for a console, state-of-the-art cooling.

runs at an unprecedentedly high clock speed for a console.

The GPU is paired with 12GB of fast GDDR5 memory and a custom eight-core CPU

Hmmm...

One concern would be cost. In the past, consoles have remained relatively inexpensive to make them available to a large amount of people, which helped in its competition against pc, but this came at the cost of performance. A GPU with 12GB of vram seems a lot bigger than seen before in consoles, if I'm not mistaken. This may result in relatively high release prices(which isn't a first though).

Performance is remarkable. We saw a Forza Motorsport demo running on the machine at native 4K and Xbox One equivalent settings, and it hit 60 frames per second with a substantial performance overhead - suggesting Scorpio will hit its native 4K target across a range of content, with power to spare to spend on other visual improvements.

This is rather vague, but this part caught my attention.

We saw a Forza Motorsport demo running on the machine at native 4K and Xbox One equivalent settings, and it hit 60 frames per second

Now of course this may just be cherry picking already tested products for reviewers(it probably is actually), but what exactly does Xbox One equivalent settings mean? After a short search, I found a video comparing different graphical settings of a pc to the performances of xbox ones and ps4s on Battlefield 1. A lot of the differences are hard to spot, but still noticeably there, with pc beating the consoles. Scorpio's performance of 4k 60fps at Xbox One setting could be dismissed with the idea that it's 4k at 60fps, but resolution and framerate aren't everything. Good graphics are a must at a consistent framerate and good resolution. Now of course this is 4k, so Scorpio might be targeted more at 1080p and 1440p than at native 4k performance, which would totally invalidate its biggest selling point.

In conclusion, Scorpio might not end up doing so well for itself. It has unproven graphics with high claims, even though its high framerate and native 4k gameplay being its biggest selling point over other consoles. Coupled with pc's already existing dominance over consoles for enthusiasts and hardcore gamers, Scorpio might just end up being a big flop.

A GPU with 12GB of vram seems a lot bigger than seen before in consoles, if I'm not mistaken. This may result in relatively high release prices(which isn't a first though).

They use that VRAM as system RAM too so really its not a lot. Its like 3GB for the OS iirc, and then that leaves 9GB left for it to split up.

Ah. That makes sense if this is the case, as the PS4 did come with eight GB of ram, so cost might not be so much of an issue, but performance could be a concern.

Now of course this is 4k, so Scorpio might be targeted more at 1080p and 1440p than at native 4k performance, which would totally invalidate its biggest selling point.

This is my mind of thinking right now. Everyone I've talked to is hyped beyond belief that they'll be able to play games at native 4k without any problems or having anything lowered, and I just don't feasibly see that happening.

Same. Of course, Scorpio hasn't had much exposure to reviews that it's difficult to judge. But, this review has only one game tested at 4k, probably with a cherry picked or version that's souped up for the demo. I hope people don't get their hopes up too high for this.

Ender_Mist 1 Build 1 point 24 months ago

I will bet REAL money that the scorpio's GPU will be slightly more powerful than than 480.

RX 480 - 36 compute units, scorpio, 40.

RX 480 has 5.8 TF, scorpio has 6.

IM TELLING YOU THATS HOW ITS GONNA BE

(i think)

[comment deleted by staff]