add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Crosshair VI Hero Headaches

khmergod

30 months ago

First day of building my 1800X test bench and everything is fine. Posts to windows at 2133 ram. Tried xmp 3200 and failed with powercycling until powered off. Cleared cmos and posts to windows again, but this time, always bypassing bios. Was able to get to bios by turning on, then pressing safe boot, but now I keep getting error code 0d on power ons, which is not noted in manual. System no longer boots beyond bios because error code will be 0d before it can post to windows. Every time I power on system, it will error 0d, then I press safe boot, and it lands to bios. After bios, it will be code 0d when saving and restarting. Power ons won't let me get to bios unless I press the safe boot. Tried 3 pairs of ram with different configurations on mobo. corsair vengeance led red, avexir led blue, and tridentz rgb.

I'm thinking of just returning my cpu and motherboard to newegg. I've already wasted half a day trying to get this working when I could instead start working on another build.

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

that mobo has problems with ram speeds above 2666mhz i believe. Its a whole new architecture so its normal that is has problems.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

It is important to keep in mind that the memory controller on AMD is different than the memory controller on Intel. With this in mind, there is going to be a difference in how memory straps / dividers operate ( especially when you introduce timings and frequencies that are designed for Intel CPUs and chipsets and attempt to bring them over to AMD )

This is why DOCP profiling was implemented but there are still some areas we are working on with AMD to enhance the ability to allow for further improvements to interoperability and compatibility. Some of these are lower level DRAM timings and other DRAM tuning parameters.

My recommendation would be first and foremost test the scaling of your IMC ( memory controller ). Just like Intel just because you have a board or memory that can run a certain frequency it is not a guarantee that the IMC will support this speed. This is the same case on Intel if you purchase kits like 3400, 3600, 3800 or greater. Not all CPUs will be able to hit it. Furthermore, density and DIMM slot population play into this ( 2 slots is easier than 4 slots ). In some cases applying some memory parameters ( applying the XMP ) can cause issues and require an advanced clearing.

The CROSSHAIR features a very high-performance topology designed to allow for the best DRAM experience possible but it is only one part of the equation.

My recommendation would be as noted below.

Complete a full CMR CMOS ( unplug the PSU power ), remove the batter onboard. Let board sit for 5 mins. Once complete reinstall battery and connect power but do not power on. CLR the CMOS. See if you can enter the UEFI normally.

If not proceed to remove the CPU and with NO CPU installed CLR the CMOS. This is still with the power connected.

This should allow you to enter into the UEFI.

Ensure you have the newest UEFI.

Once you have confirmed you have flashed the newest UEFI ensure you set the board to UEFI defaults

Reboot and enter into the UEFI with defaults. Once you enter in select DOCP and highlight the XMP profile. DO NOTsave and reboot. Currently, you confirmed that 3200 may not work in your system configuration. As such go to the DRAM divider options and select then next DRAM divider.

AMD does not currently support a 3000 MHz divider so the next option will be 2933. My expectation is that it will be a much higher likelihood that you will be able to run this frequency.

Ultimately you can of course return it but keep in mind there is not a better board when it comes to DRAM clocking currently or one that will have as long term extensive UEFI release to enhance and improve aspects of board performance. This is one of the key value-adds with ROG boards.

Hopefully these steps help in finding you a way to maximize the you current configuration.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

ibwill try that after work. thanks for the info

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem! Best of luck!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube