add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Torn between my RX 470 and R9 390

bradenfontaine

31 months ago

I have an RX 470 and an R9 390 (both XFX) and I run at 1440p. now the 390 obviously gets better performance at 1440p but my god does it run hot and loud, where as my 470 does not run nearly as hot or as loud. I'm torn between selling the 390 and buying another 470 (yes most of the games I play scale well with crossfire) or just setting the 470 aside for a rainy day and putting up with the noise and heat of the 390.

looking for advice as I am having a hard time deciding which is the right way to go here.

Comments

• 31 months ago
  • 3 points

Go with the 2nd Rx 470. Its not like your going to get the R9 390 in crossfire anytime with noise and heat and power so 470 it is............

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

dude this 390 is sooo hot, and I tried to build my system to be quiet and once I get into a game the noise can be deafening in a quiet house late at night.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah you have your answer then. you know what you need and want....

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Crossfire is great when it is supported, and even two 470's I don't think would compare to the heat and noise of this 390.

[comment deleted]
  • 31 months ago
  • 1 point

I forgot to mention the power draw, the 390 is insane when I comes to that, the 470 is half the power draw of the 390. I pull almost 500+ watts when fully loaded with the 390.

• 31 months ago
  • 3 points

If you do get a second 470, get a reference model. It will be slightly louder but it also won't blow hot air onto the top 470. You generally want a reference on the bottom and whatever else on the top. I agree with you that Crossfire is underrated.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube