add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Overclocking Queries

rhali8

35 months ago

Hey everyone. A few of you have seen my gaming PC. It has been of great use to me, but now I'm seriously thinking of overclocking it manually and pushing it as far as it go (I used X Boost to get an auto overclock of ~4.5GHz most of the time).

However, my motherboard lacks VRM cooling (heatsinks) and therefore will get crazy hot if I push voltages too high. This is the motherboard. I'm looking into buying custom VRM heatsinks.

The top link is the one I'm interested in. After doing research, I'll need thermal pads, but I'm not sure what size. Any help on this would be appreciated.

There are quite a few things I'm not sure about.. Will the heatsinks just stick onto the thermal pads? How much will this benefit my VRM temps? As for how far I'm overclocking, I'm debating disabling AMD APM (The thing that throttles the CPU when it exceeds thermal/voltage limits) to push the CPU even further. I want the absolute max out of my CPU.

Comments

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually... that's not a bad idea. I'll take a look at my case closely and see if I can get a fan attached to the side of the drive bay or something. Thanks :)

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

but if they are the square ones just to the left

They are, and heaps of people are recommending to install custom heatsinks. I'm looking further into it, and another option would be to purchase a 40mm fan and modding it to sit just on top of the VRMs... Thoughts? :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube