add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Gaming/Productivity Build

bobsacamano

33 months ago

Putting together my first build, which I'll use for both gaming and productivity (mostly financial modeling and simulation), and wanted to run a part list by the community for input. I don't intend to switch out the motherboard or cpu for quite some time, so I've gone a tad overkill (I think) but would appreciate any feedback.

I have deliberately excluded a GPU from the build, as I'm waiting for the custom 1080 ti cards to come out (would love some input on whether a hyrbid cooled card like one offered from EVGA would be worth it or if I should go another route - thinking liquid cooling would be the best option?).

Part list is below, thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i7-6850K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor (wanted greater power for software so went with 6 core, I would imagine 4 cores to be fine for gaming)

CPU cooler: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (goal was quiet operation)

Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Edition 10 EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard (goal is to "future-proof" with this one - USB 3.1 also a question of mine)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (will add a second stick later on)

Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (is there anything better out there without paying 3x? Wanted M.2 NVMe)

Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case (not married to case, just looking for a full tower with good air flow, but room to expand or add a custom liquid cooling loop)

Power Supply: EVGA 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (wanted to go fully modular)

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

I would highly recommend a new R7 processor over the X99 lineup, (especially the 6850K, an awful value compared to the 6800K).

"Future-proofing" on a motherboard pretty much doesn't exist. Not sure what you're referring to when you say it, but as long as it's SLI-compatible and it has good ports, you'll be fine. Arguably, since you'd be an early adopter of the X370 with this build, so it'd be as "future-proof" as it gets.

You absolutely do not need an 1000W PSU for that lineup, by the way.

What is your budget? Where are you located? Do you need a monitor, OS, or any peripherals included in that budget?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the quick reply - all good points. I think I'd like to stick with intel/an intel compatible board (though I know amd is looking great right now). I was looking to the x99s for the extra cores since I'll be using this for more than gaming. I had also looked at an i7-7700, but was thinking I'd forego the higher clock speeds for the added cores. I may be looking at this completely the wrong way, but I'm concerned if I don't go with the x99 and compatible board, I may be boxing myself in in terms of mother board and what I can upgrade and expand over time without switching out the board. Let me know if that's not how I should be thinking?

Agreed on the PSU. I figured this build wouldn't need more than 500, but I'll be adding at least one graphics card immediately, and probably another gpu and a few hard drives within a year, so thought I'd plan ahead up front.

I'm located in the US. I'd like to keep the budget, sans graphics card, to $2,000. I've got a monitor, software, and peripherals, so I'm really only in need of the parts I originally listed.

My main concern is the cpu and mother board - I'm no expert and am not sure what to make of the comparisons I read online, particularly since I'm going for a hybrid machine and not just a gaming rig.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube