add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How do you guys think the Ryzen 3's will perform in gaming?

Red_Tempter

35 months ago

I understand that most people's interest lies in the Ryzen 5 lineup, but there is certainly a portion of us who are interested in budget-oriented parts. Therefore, I have started this thread.

I don't know much about Zen architecture-wise, but if my understanding is correct, the lack of the second Core Complex + lack of SMT may make the Ryzen 3's have good gaming performance. I believe that the lack of the second Core Complex will be beneficial because, 1) it lowers the amount of cores, which possibly means slightly higher clock speeds, and 2) it won't need to communicate between two different CCX's, which requires optimization as I understand it. Also, we've seen in benchmarks that SMT sometimes lowers gaming performance, which the R3's won't suffer from, as they won't have SMT (based on what I've read). At stock speeds, I predict it will surpass the i3's in gaming, due to their higher core count. Overclocked, a given R3 may be able to reach i5-7400 performance. This is just speculation, though. The R3's may be plagued with very low clock speeds and disappointing overclocking potential though, as the R7's are, for all I know. There are probably other factors I haven't taken into account.

I've read that the prices will be around i3 range, and if this is true, I believe it would have very good price/performance, even if it does indeed have low clock speeds. I wonder, though, why AMD hasn't released these yet, seeing as how many people aren't buying $330+ CPU's. I should think they would make more money selling to larger audiences.

Please give your input on this subject, and include links when you can. Also, keep fanboyism out of this. Thank you.

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

I think your estimation that an overclocked 3 series would perform like an i5-7400 in gaming is perfectly reasonable.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Could be a winner in the budget field, depends on price

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm personally expecting i5 performance at 100 to 200 dollars. By then 1080p should be pretty optimized, and Ryzen already performs similarly to i5's in gaming.

• 35 months ago
  • 3 points

There's nothing to "optimize" for 1080P. Resolution has nothing to do with it. CPU performance in gaming is always the same regardless of resolution. Shrouding the CPU's performance under a wall of GPU bottlenecks at high resolution doesn't mean that a CPU performs better at higher resolution, it just means that the test doesn't tell us anything.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I meant games should be mostly optimized for the Zen architecture by then, as it'll be the second half of 2017 when the R3 series releases.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 35 months ago
  • 2 points

I highly doubt they will have 2 core complex's in any of the quad core parts. The way these core complex's are arranged suggests an all-or-nothing outcome. Disabling "part" of a core complex and then combining a pair of partially enabled units is not likely possible.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube