add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Contemplating Building vs. Buying, HELP

biiohazzrd

32 months ago

So, I have been planning on using part of my tax return to get a better PC for gaming(currently using a laptop I inherited). I have always been told that building is better than buying, so I came here to achieve just that. After watching some benchmark videos, I decided on the graphics card i want to stick with, Radeon RX 480. From there, I started looking for a build with this card, and trying to then build my own. Here is the dilemma i am running into, the money. You see, i was mainly building for the fact its less money and better parts, however, when looking at a computer from Best Buy, and trying to recreate it, it was becoming more expensive to build. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-black-edition-series-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-480-1tb-hard-drive-black/5615010.p?skuId=5615010 That is the one from best buy, and below will be the build i attempted to do. You will notice i even used a cheaper, and one level down processor. Along with a rather cheap motherboard with only the basics, and even the simplest case i could find. And yet, the base cost is practically the same. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Jjnjhq

TLDR: Looking for some opinions on the pre-built pc I linked, and some help towards when I built my own pc(a weaker one at that) why it was the same price. Would it not be a better deal to just buy the pre-built one? Or could you show me a way to hit the same level as that pc, but for a cheaper price?

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 5 points

See, the thing about "better parts" is that you can't put "AMD FX" and "good part" in the same sentence in 2017. Even the FX-8350 is completely outperformed by something like the Pentium G4560, currently the perfect chip for bang-for-the-buck CPUs. (Yes. The single-core performance on the 8350 is so terrible that a dual-core [hyperthreaded] chip beats it in all gaming benchmarks.)

Here's everything you wanted, plus an SSD, which the prebuilt didn't have, and will boost your usability tremendously.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $59.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $69.99 @ Amazon
Memory Avexir Core Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $39.90 @ Amazon
Storage Zotac Premium Edition 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.61 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.33 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus Radeon RX 480 4GB Dual Video Card $179.98 @ Newegg
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $32.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $88.58 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $720.36
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $670.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-05 20:38 EST-0500
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

This is the way to go I reckon.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

So your budget is around $600 and in the USA I presume?

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Around $700 is my max probably. The prebuilt is sitting at 680, and the one i built was 672

• 32 months ago
  • -1 points

Ahh, I see.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $196.33 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $77.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate FireCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive $78.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB GAMING X Video Card $199.98 @ Newegg
Case Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case $29.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Rosewill 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Newegg
Total (before mail-in rebates) $718.14
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $698.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-04 20:22 EST-0500

The i5-7500 will overpower the FX-6300 in terms of gaming performance, and it's newer. The graphics card is your choice of course, but I like MSI. Better RAM.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

And see, that is just a little bit more than my build. I agree with the Intel change, and all i care about is the RX 480 chipset, so the MSI change is fine as well. See my concerns comes from the pre-built one i linked, with it still the same price(even slightly less than your build), and yet still has a nicer CPU, and comes with OS. (also has wifi, cool case, keyboard and mouse, no although these are simple and not important, just side things), where is the benefit of building? The pre-built is just seeming to come with more bells and whistles, and its the same price.

• 32 months ago
  • 0 points

You're...right. After not a lot of digging, the FX-8350 processor won't bottleneck the RX480 (yet), so conclusion: Buy the pre-built?

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats what im honestly leaning to, simply because i have yet to find a build at the same price with better specs. I am all for building my own, just only if it actually makes sense monetary wise.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

That isn't how bottlenecking works.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

This looks like a good build. Just DON'T FORGET WINDOWS. So many people do when building their computers.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

You can get incativated...

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

That's not a word, did you mean inactivated? And idek what context that would be in.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know if you received my private message but I did a little digging into exactly what mobo etc. they used in that system. I waded through the Q&A and based this on the responses from CyberPower. BTW, the system does not come with a Wi-Fi card according to Cyberpower. From the picture it looks like a Phanteks Eclipse P400 case with CyberPower's branding. CyberPower also indicates that a Thermaltake 600W power supply is used. It does come with a RX480 GPU so I just used the cheapest one and also for the other parts I just used the cheapest part pricing. Hope this helps for comparison and not confuses anyone.

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor $139.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $79.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Mushkin Stealth 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $49.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.33 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB Video Card $184.98 @ Newegg
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 600W ATX Power Supply $43.99 @ SuperBiiz
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $89.99 @ NCIX US
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $27.99 @ SuperBiiz
Total $736.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-04 21:30 EST-0500
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

P400 Tempered Glass

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

And see this kinda confirms my concerns, this is sitting at around $20 more, yet with all the same content.. So my question then becomes, wouldnt it end up being a better deal to just buy the pre-built?

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

No, that build is total crap.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Well it did confuse some people since people think this is what you are recommending and you are being heavily downvoted.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $188.75 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $66.98 @ Newegg
Memory Avexir Core Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $46.90 @ Amazon
Storage *Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $46.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card *Sapphire Radeon RX 480 4GB NITRO D5 OC Video Card $177.98 @ Newegg
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P400 TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case $79.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $32.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Cooler Master Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $27.99 @ SuperBiiz
Total (before mail-in rebates) $703.46
Mail-in rebates -$35.00
Total $668.46
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-04 22:00 EST-0500

Same price, case, GPU, much better CPU.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

You are forgetting to add in the OS, shooting the price up at least another $80.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

When Windows asks you for a license, click "I don't have a Product Key." It's legitimate, full Windows with a watermark on your wallpaper and non-customizable colors (the Taskbar and Start Menu stay black).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube