add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

POSSIBLE 200$ BUILD?!

PvPdrstrange

30 months ago

I am trying to build a PC for my friend. His budget is, as you can tell from the title, 200$. No operating system needed, because I guess Linux is necessary in this case... Is it even possible? Here is the the challenge: 200$ gaming build that can runs low graphics demanding games at 1080p ( it has to be at least playable) no periphals required. All help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Unohoo

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

Your friend has to save up to $350 to get a PC with reliable components to run any games, that's just the reality of it.

$200 won't get you a good experience whatsoever. They're recommending old Athlons' integrated graphics -- I'd be surprised if you'd be able to run vanilla Minecraft and have a good time.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $59.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $46.99 @ Newegg
Memory *Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $26.90 @ Amazon
Storage *Seagate Barracuda 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $22.70 @ Amazon
Case Zalman ZM-T1 PLUS MicroATX Mini Tower Case $19.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $32.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $239.56
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $209.56
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-02 18:02 EST-0500

Hope it doesn't catch fire...

For real though, this is probably the best you're gonna get. The G4560 will run very low graphics games at 1080p pretty well (LoL, CS:GO), and you can upgrade to a RX 460 later.

Plus the PSU is like, probably not gonna catch fire. But there's almost no storage (though storage is very easy to upgrade).

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, I know the mobo is H110M, but in this video, it booted without a BIOS flash enough to download the BIOS update, so... fingers crossed?

• 30 months ago
  • 0 points

Type Item Price
CPU AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor $49.75 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI A68HM-E33 V2 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $41.98 @ Newegg
Memory Mushkin Essentials 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $44.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital RE3 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $23.99 @ Amazon
Case Azza SIRIUS ATX Mid Tower Case $19.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $35.99 @ Newegg
Total (before mail-in rebates) $261.69
Mail-in rebates -$45.00
Total $216.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-27 20:02 EST-0500
  • 30 months ago
  • 0 points

As others have said... not going to happen at 1080p... Maybe the onboard graphics of the G4560 will get you by on low settings @720p.

The classic "garbage case + garbage PSU" combo is also required... use at own risk.

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $61.99 @ Jet
Motherboard ASRock B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $67.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Patriot Signature Line 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $27.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital AV-GP 250GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $16.65 @ Amazon
Case Logisys CS206BK ATX Mid Tower Case w/480W Power Supply $33.81 @ OutletPC
Total $208.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-28 16:09 EST-0500
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

This too. Used market is the only real solution if more money isn't an option.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

you're missing the psu

[comment deleted]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

nvm then

[comment deleted]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Joke right? His build is going to have a very very short and dangerous life with that PSU.

[comment deleted]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

That PSU WIll, not may, cause damage to the build and could easily end up killing. I'm not joking or being over the top about the PSU either.

http://www.overclockers.com/logisys-ps480x2-review/

All told, the PS480X2 did far better than expected, but still falls well short of an approved badge. It’s almost into “Meh” territory, but the complete mismatch of the ratings and reality, plus the >200 mV of ripple on the 3.3 V rail, land this unit in the Fail category. I strongly recommend paying the extra few bucks to get a known good power supply, you’d be mighty unhappy if your attempt to save <$30 cost you hundreds of dollars in ripple-fried equipment.

The soldering is good, other than the potentially fatal solder ball and scrapings.

The ripple did away with the spec and headed south promptly once loaded. At 120 W it’s within spec on 12 V, but fails 5 V by 38 mV and 3.3 V by 18 mV. At the closest to its rated wattage I was able to pull, it has violated 12 V ripple by 80 mV, 5 V ripple by 30 mV, and 3.3 V ripple by a staggering 160 mV. So much for being within spec.

This does away with the ability to safely power much of anything unfortunately. It’ll power a computer, but I strongly recommend against trying it. This ripple is not the brief transients that an input filter on a GPU or motherboard can easily mop up, this is long duration, instability causing, ripple.

The 5 V rail did 5%, which is right on the maximum limit per ATX specs. 3.3 V

All wires are 20 gauge, thinner than the recommended 18 gauge.

The power cord is staggeringly thin, I won’t be using it for the testing. I’m scared of it.

Much to my surprise, this unit did not explode. In fact, try as I might, I could not kill it. Over ~290 W load it would simply shut down and not restart until I lowered the load. That goes for hot or cold, and is despite hearing crackling sounds from inside the unit on two occasions.

[comment deleted]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes it will lower the life of the parts. Even at 0W the ripple of the 3V is almost out spec. At 120W the 5V and 3V rail are both out spec with the 120W rail nearly being there. Then are the deadly solder balls which if they come loose which could happen could kill the PSU and possibly the build at any given moment. Then there is the voltage which for the 5V is literally right on the max amounted allowed for it to within ATX spec. Then there is the stupidly thin power cable on it. It still a train wreck. There is a reason why its so cheap. Its a high profit total trash unit.

http://www.overclock.net/t/719397/on-ripple-and-its-effects-on-overclocking

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11297

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2053-power-supply-voltage-ripple-and-relevance

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2013/march/why-does-a-better-power-supply-mean-a-better-computer-experience

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_(electrical)#Frequency-domain_ripple

I don't think the solder balls need explaining....

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Really,

NEVER BUY A PSU FROM LOGISYS

That thing will blow up in a heartbeat

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube