add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Monitor help

lolkrayd

65 months ago

Hey everyone,

I currently use a 1920 x 1080 monitor as my main monitor and a 1600 x 900 monitor as my off monitor. As each day passes, I find myself barely using the 1600x900 monitor less and less.

I want to replace my secondary monitor but I am stuck in a pinch.

Would I want a IPS monitor or a monitor with higher refresh rate? I don't play FPS a whole lot, but when I watch streamers play at 120Hz it seems so smooth and fluent. But I been seeing how people are so impress by IPS monitors. The local Frys do not have any IPS monitor on display so I can't really go out and see for myself.

I've also been recommended the korean monitors as well, but I am afraid my 2gb gtx 770 will not be able to handle it and I will eventually run into to the problem where I want a higher resolution monitor again in the future.

TLDR: I am looking for a monitor, but stuck between these options.

1. Higher refresh rate
  2. IPS
  3. Higher Resolution Monitors (korean monitors)

I am a semi active gamer but I do watch a lot of movies as well. Budget 400usd area

Thank You in advance!

Comments

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're not a serious gamer, really I would go for IPS... honestly, when you're watching a stream online, you're not seeing the full 120 Hz rate, because you're limited by your own screen's refresh rate... so you wouldn't be able to tell the difference over video. In person, sure. But you're probably just getting a placebo effect watching a stream of a 120 Hz gamer.

I have an IPS panel and love it, and it's more than adequate for playing BF4 and the like. The colors are great.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

I went ahead and purchased the Asus VS239H-P 23 and already started running into sleep mode problems and ontop of that it looks horrible compared to my other 23inch monitor. Did I just purchase a really bad monitor?

Should I just return it and pick up another monitor?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube