add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What makes a Chipset good?

Oliver
  • 87 months ago

We all know that Z77 is the best 1155 chipset for gaming, but what is good about it? How do chipsets work and what properties do they have? If I told a newbie the P68 Chipset was best, how would I prove it to him? Thanks!

Comments

• 87 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, for example, different chipsets contain different features. Divdor's posts were very good. (+1 for both posts, Divdor)

Z77 is really interesting, because it allows you to split the PCIe 3.0 x16 lane into multiple smaller lanes in order to allow for SLI/CrossFire setups. Z77 allows you to overclock the RAM too, which might be important when performing further overclocking, especially for your hardcore gamer. H77 only allows you to overclock GPU and/or CPU.

Z75 is a weird little chipset. It allows you to split one PCIe 3.0 x16 lane into 2x PCIe 3.0 x8 lanes, but not any further. It also doesn't allow for Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology, also known as Intel SSD Caching). That makes it really hard to recommend, given that Z77 boards are so close in price.

Q77 boards include Intel vPRO technology in them, if that's important, but they're the only Intel chipset to include it.

Also, Z77 boards don't include PCI compatibility natively, although I'm sure you can find Z77 boards that offer legacy PCI support (I'm sure you can get it through PCIe lanes to emulate it).

I can answer questions about AMD 900 series chipsets too if you're interested, or tell you more about the X79 chipset too.

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

Each have different capabilities. Here is a good article on Slot 1155 chipsets:

Kinda gives you an idea of the differences.

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, so chipsets basically control maximum capabilities, functions, and speeds of the motherboard ?

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

That is pretty much it. Keep in mind some mobo manufacturers will add additional chipsets to control extra SATA lanes and things like that.

For example z77 boards control 2 SATA 3.0 ports, yet some board allow 4 or 6 with extra chips on the board. So not all z77 motherboards are created equal. Good Luck!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube