add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AMD FX-8320 or i3 4170 for Photoshop/Lightroom PC

kylejacks4

37 months ago

Hello all, My mother is looking for a new budget-oriented CPU and Motherboard for her new PC for Photoshop and Lightroom. I'm not really sure how Adobe's software utilizes CPU cores and whatnot so I thought I should reach out to the community for some help. I already have 16GB DDR3 Memory so she can't get anything DDR4 or Skylake etc.

Do you guys think that the more cores in the FX-8320 would be better for Photoshop and Lightroom or if Intel's faster cores would be better?

Any recommendations are welcome and much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 3 points

Either way will work reasonably well, with tradeoffs each way. Some operations in photoshop and lightroom are going to be poorly threaded, some will be heavily threaded, so each CPU will be a compromise.

I'd probably use an FX-8300 instead of the FX-8320.

If you're planning to use integrated graphics for this, skip the AM3+ platform, it doesn't have it. An A10-7860K (FM2+) or i3-4160 would be the way to go there. i3 being the superior option from a pure CPU performance perspective, but the FM2+ platform will usually give a more feature rich motherboard at a lower price. Either way would work.

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 2 points

With my wife's Photoshop rig we use an a10-7850k with a decent OC. But what we found to be the biggest improvement in performance was storage type. I moved her to 1x128gb ssd for OS, 2x512gb ssds set as a spanned dynamic drive as her work drive,and a 128gb SSD we had just laying around as a scratch disk used between the two programs. At the end of her day data on the spanned drives are moved to a NAS for final storage and a backup is created automatically. She has two libraries set up within light room, one of which is wiped clean as soon as the transfer and back up are completed.

Since the drive upgrade she has been quit happy with the improved speed of the two programs. She was working temporarily on my machine (i3-6100) while I redid her PC. When she went back, she was quit surprised at how much quicker everything was and even commented about how it was like working on my PC... but better.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you mean FX 8320 or FX 8320e? The FX 8320e over clocked would be faster than the FX 8320 or i3 4170.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube