add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which 4k graphics card for my 65" TV? (I'm a noob)

leomeza1

33 months ago

I'm building a rig to play games and to stream movies on my Samsung 65" 4K UHD TV (model number: UN65KU630DFXZA). Resolution: 3840 x 2160 Motion Rate: 120

If you would, please suggest a graphics card that can support good-to-verygood frame rates for less than $500 (less than $300 would be great), if possible.

So far, I have the following components (feel free to speak on these too, if you'd like): Mobo: ASUS Z170-AR CPU: Intel i5-6600K (still need a cooler) RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

I've tentatively singled out the Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card, but mostly because it matches the manufacturer and color scheme of the mobo.

I've been reading endlessly and I can't come to a conclusion. Any helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! Leo

Resolved: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Dual-Fan OC Edition (DUAL-GTX1070-O8G) Note: I'll upgrade to 1080 when the Ti comes out, if necessary.

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

it depends on what you want to achieve and what games you want to play.

if you want to play games like civilization and strategy games a 1060 should be good since framerate and maximum graphics output isn't that important. if you want to play bigger games however youll need a more powerful card. games such as grand theft auto, rise of the tomb raider and witcher 3 etc.... a 1060 will not push a pleasurable experience. if your happy with 30-50 fps on most games at high-ish settings then a 1070 will suffice you, but if you want to achieve more, like 60 fps ultra then a gtx 1080 is the last you will require.

The best thing for you to do is look at benchmarks, have a google at gtx 1060/70/80 4k benchmarks. most will cover a wide variety of games and you can see how they perform to the games you want to play. here are a good set of benchmarks for a gtx 1070/80 then you can make a decision on what graphics card you need. http://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-review-a-look-at-1440p-4k-ultra-wide-gaming/4/

If you are planning on playing bigger games a gtx 1070 should suffice if your happy with 30+ fps for most games. if you wait for some sales you might find a good deal and you can sli in the future if you need more firepower, or if you can wait a bit and save, a gtx 1080 would be an excellent investment. Take into account though, that 4k is an incredibly demanding resolution, and there are even games where a gtx 1080 can barely push 30 fps at ultra detail

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

I think the GTX 1070 is your best option. Anything below that would struggle at that resolution unless you reduce graphic settings to medium or lower, if you want decent fps.

It also depends on what games you play. Rocket League for example should be able to run at 4k 60Fps with a few tweaks.

I'd suggest the CRYORIG H7 as an air cooler for your build.

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

Just an FYI the motion rate is 120hz, the actual refresh rate is 60hz.

As suggested however the cards mentioned GTX 1070 / 1080 would be what your after to push those pixels depending on what you play. More demanding games will even cause the 1080 to crumble.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I did not know that about the 120hz vs 60hz, thanks!

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the responses thus far. I'm gonna check out the benchmarks now, I'll post back when I find a new solution for graphics. As far as games, I'm currently most interested in Star Wars Battlefront (I'm not a hard-core gamer by any stretch of the imagination). I've been wanting to make an HTPC for a long time, and last weekend I got addicted to Star Wars Battlefront on my friend's Xbox, so I pulled the trigger and started building a Gaming/HTPC rig.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, so I think I'm going to break the bank and go for a Gtx 1080. But, is there any kind of bottlenecking concern with the i5-6600K? Should I swap the i5-6600K for an i7-6700K? I don't plan on doing video editing at all, just gaming and streaming.

The Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX looks pretty sick. If the i5 is of no concern, I might go with this card.

• 33 months ago
  • 3 points

You'll be more than fine with the 6600k.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Great to hear it, thanks.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I just ordered the ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 Dual-Fan OC Edition (DUAL-GTX1070-O8G) for $420 +tax. Didn't want to break the bank after-all. If this card can deliver a solid gaming experience on my 65", then I'll wait until the 1080Ti comes out and find a good use for this 1070 elsewhere.

Thanks all!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube