add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Why do all parents have a thing against games?

rhali8
  • 39 months ago

Specifically long periods of gaming. Idk why... they 'say' it is bad for you, and while it might be if you do it for 10 hours straight without moving I personally think any lower than that is fine as long as you take a few periodic breaks.

Some say that they're secretly jealous... Others say its a conspiracy... Can an adult pls explain why? Ty <3

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 11 points

As a parent, I'd be okay with gaming under the following conditions 1) You have good grades in school. 2) All your assigned chores have been completed to a satisfactory degree. 3) If you're old enough to have a job, you better have one. Gaming doesn't come cheap, so don't expect me to pay for it all.

I myself am guilty and do get caught up in a game every now and then. You have to stop and realize though, when to take a step back and look what's in front of you.. It's possible that, just maybe, your parents might want to spend more time with you? As you keep getting older, it becomes harder and harder for a parent to let go. It's easy to get glued to a screen for hours on end, with no care in the world. But it's hard for a parent to literally not see you all day, and knowing the fact that you've been cooped up in a room staring at a screen. It's not healthy. You'll understand that as you get older and have a family of your own

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

You sir, are an awesome parent. My desktop is in the study room, which is really open to the house, my parents can be standing anywhere and they'll see me. I play around 4 hours a day, and I spend heaps of time with my siblings and parents. My grades are pretty decent, I help my parents out a lot and I'm working. They still don't really agree with my gaming habits ;(

• 39 months ago
  • 6 points

Because they want you to meme instead.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol this had me rolling

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

that

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 4 points

TheCableGuy had a pretty good response but I'd just like to add that not all parents hate videogames. My mom and dad used to sit down with my siblings and I around the N64 for big family Mario Kart sessions. My dad in particular also got pretty hardcore into Doom, Counter-Strike and Command & Conquer for years.

So like all things it just depends.

• 39 months ago
  • 3 points

I am 24. Not sure if adult?

Also not a parent so I cannot speak to the specific parent/child relationship. If I had to guess I would say it's because they see it as wasted time. Kicking back after school for 2-3 hours is pretty normal, but if you're doing it for more that can come across as being addicted.

There are really two possible components to this, one being that parents of a certain age may not understand the appeal of gaming as a form of recreation and probably do something else arguably worse such as watch TV. And Two being that they consider excessive time spent on a game as time you could be using to develop a skill or studying, and in that regard it is kinda true. There are hobbies with skills much more marketable than gaming.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I am 24. Not sure if adult?

XD

Also not a parent so I cannot speak to the specific parent/child relationship. If I had to guess I would say it's because they see it as wasted time. Kicking back after school for 2-3 hours is pretty normal, but if you're doing it for more that can come across as being addicted.

That sounds resonable...

There are really two possible components to this, one being that parents of a certain age may not understand the appeal of gaming as a form of recreation and probably do something else arguably worse such as watch TV.

This makes so much sense its not funny. My parents are cool with me watching TV but not playing games? Because apparently the TV has a bigger screen so its better for your eyes?

And Two being that they consider excessive time spent on a game as time you could be using to develop a skill or studying, and in that regard it is kinda true. There are hobbies with skills much more marketable than gaming.

Also true... My parents want me to be studying 24/7, they'd rather me studying for hours and hours than play games. They don't understand that I can't study for 3 hours straight effectively. No one can. I would study better if I did 1 and 1/2 hours, 1 hour games, followed by another 1 and 1/2 hours.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Because apparently the TV has a bigger screen so its better for your eyes?

TV screens actually emit more radiation than standard computer screens.

• 39 months ago
  • 3 points

My whole idea on this is a combination of a lot of the excellent comments that have already been mentioned. Another thing I wanted to bring up however though is the fact that while some kids are blessed with the fact of being with excellent parents, what about the children who are not?

One idea is that parents are misinformed and cannot trust their children to moderate themselves in the way that they want them to. So they take control of their lives, and this means their gaming time and habits. While good intentioned, there is (for obvious reasons) not the best solution all the time. Another thing is that parents are often scared of their children either not living up to their expectations, or their children becoming worse overall and becoming bad people. There is a multitude of possible reasons why a parent could act in this manner.

Of course, you have to remember that every parent, and for that, person is different. And that everyone will parent (if they decide to) in a different way, and it'll reflect in how their children is grown up. There is no one reason why a parent would limit the amount of gaming that their child or children get to experience, and for the most part it's well intentioned. So if you get bummed out that you couldn't finish that last chapter, or get that final level up, don't worry about it :)

And yes while I'm only 15 I do have a reasonable grasp on being self sufficient and being raised up myself, so I got that going for me ;p

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

fact that while some kids are blessed with the fact of being with excellent parents, what about the children who are not?

Yes, in general that is very true. I'm really lucky to have parents who care, and I really appreciate it. I'm a pretty decent person, I help them when I can, I put smiles on their faces all the time and I make them proud when I can :)

One idea is that parents are misinformed and cannot trust their children to moderate themselves in the way that they want them to. So they take control of their lives, and this means their gaming time and habits. While good intentioned, there is (for obvious reasons) not the best solution all the time. Another thing is that parents are often scared of their children either not living up to their expectations, or their children becoming worse overall and becoming bad people. There is a multitude of possible reasons why a parent could act in this manner.

This is very, very true.

Of course, you have to remember that every parent, and for that, person is different. And that everyone will parent (if they decide to) in a different way, and it'll reflect in how their children is grown up. There is no one reason why a parent would limit the amount of gaming that their child or children get to experience, and for the most part it's well intentioned. So if you get bummed out that you couldn't finish that last chapter, or get that final level up, don't worry about it :)

Of course :) Thanks for the feedback!

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm a adult but not a parent, at least that I know of.....

I could see why if its effecting your life outside of free time or if you are playing games that aren't suitable for your age.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I could see why if its effecting your life outside of free time or if you are playing games that aren't suitable for your age.

That's a point I never considered. I'm 16 though, so I think I'm cool to play what I want. The most violent game I really play is probably battlefield 4. Thanks for the input :D

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm a adult but not a parent, at least that I know of.....

Oh.. lol

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

just have patience. When you get older have a job and your own place you can game as much as you want during free time. But you will notice that there is always something to do and game time will be less with each passing year (with me atleast).

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

It is quite amazing the way your free time disappears once you get your own place and have a career and such.

RIP being a teenager.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Because they feel games take away valuable time from other things you could be doing and sitting glued to the TV is bad for your health. Then there are also violent games which many parents are against. With all the school shootings that happened in recent years and articles about the violence these games cause ,they are only doing ways best in their eyes.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Despite me and my parent's political backgrounds, my parents don't really have an issue with much of anything we do, aside from actually cursing and **** like that. As long as we keep our grades up and do what we gotta do, they're 100% fine with it.

• 39 months ago
  • 7 points

aside from actually cursing and ****

gj

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

The profile picture tells a story.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

My parents aren't even doing much about my little brother swearing. They'll ***** and whine at me for being too loud but he gets away with dropping F-bombs, like why.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Is he the youngest?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup. 14 years old.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Is thats the reason?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

They r oled men tey nu undrstnd

Not all parents hate games. My parents try to limit me(and fail)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

My parents try to limit me(and fail)

Same lol

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Really?WOW lol

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Well if you want to go that in depth in to it, one could say from walking you could get leg pain, broken legs, muscle damage, dehydration, also backaches, etc... Those things happen when you don't regulate your gaming habits and play for 10 hours+ straight without moving a muscle regularly. I play for maybe 4 hours a day, I take breaks, I'm not really an unhealthy person, I do a lot of sport, eat well, I'm pretty fit... I'm also pretty sociable. So if done properly and normally, gaming isn't bad for you. But they say it is.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube