add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
rhali8
  • 40 months ago

Hey guys! Been a while since I posted here, and I haven't been on too much lately, but for good reasons! I've started work at a graphics design company nearby, and have been working on a couple exciting projects, and I'm gonna tell you about one of them!

How it came to be:

My dad occasionally brings an old HP or Dell prebuilt from work to home, and they sit in the garage doing nothing. There was about 10 in there, so I decided to dive my hands in the dust, see what I could find and put together a pretty decent rig that is capable of minecraft for the siblings and some other work. Well, as of right now I am typing on the near completed revision of the PC and I must say, its gone pretty well!

All of the computers were pretty much powered by Celeron D's, Core 2 Duos or Pentium D's. They all had DDR2 memory and had really small 80 - 160GB HDDs. But I got really lucky, and found a PC with specs quite a bit more decent! The original PC had:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium E2180 2.0GHz Dual-Core Processor -
Motherboard Intel DQ45CB Micro ATX LGA775 Motherboard -
Storage Western Digital AV-GP 250GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive -
Other Windows Vista
Other No RAM! :(
Other Unknown CPU Cooler
Other Dell Vostro 200 Case
Other 2x Standard 80mm Case Fans
Other ACBel PSU Bomb - 3000
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $0.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-03 14:03 AEDT+1100

Sneak peak photo of some salvaged parts :D

Upgrades:

I looked and saw potential! The CPU packed a punch, had more horsepower than a core 2 duo, so it was usable! Our Duo rig with 2GB of RAM attains 30FPS in minecraft, so this will do better! A 250GB HDD was more than enough to store our files, and the PC looked very cleanly built, aside from the mounds of dust. So, I got to work and retrieved dozens of RAM sticks, HDDs, wifi cards, etc from the other PC's and decided to throw what I could into this one! The final rig:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium E2180 2.0GHz Dual-Core Processor -
Motherboard Intel DQ45CB Micro ATX LGA775 Motherboard -
Storage Western Digital AV-GP 250GB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive -
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F3 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive -
Video Card Sapphire Radeon HD 5830 1GB Video Card -
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24D5MT DVD/CD Writer $19.00 @ Mwave Australia
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 32-bit -
Wireless Network Adapter D-Link DWA-525 PCI 802.11g/n Wi-Fi Adapter -
Other Unknown CPU Cooler
Other Dell Vostro 200 Case
Other 2x Standard 80mm Case Fans
Other ACBel PSU Bomb - 3000
Other 3x 512MB DDR2 RAM
Other 1x 1GB DDR2 RAM
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $19.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-03 14:12 AEDT+1100

That's the projected goal! :)

Updates:

• 3/12. I took apart the computers. The rig now functions well with 2.5GB of RAM and a new optical drive! Windows 7 was installed (will be switched to 10 soon), and the computer actually runs pretty well! I'm typing on it right now :) Gave it a really good vacuum and clean too. Next update will be a new HDD and a new WiFi card :)

Thanks for checking this out! Feedback, questions and anything you want is appreciated :) Don't worry, there will be a completed build at the end folks, no need for pitchforks :-P

Cheers!

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Systems > Part List Opinions Wanted".

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Uhhh, what? This is a build log ;-;

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube