add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Asus PG279Q vs 4K monitors

KarmAngel

33 months ago

Hey every1 ^_^

So i was planning to had a Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor but i don't know if i would gain a better experience on a 4K (60Hz)...

The thing is, the Asus PG279Q it has already an awesome resolution (2K) and it can go for 165Hz (which is freaking awesome!). I'm aiming for the smoothest gameplay and if possible, the best image quality.

But i don't know which one should i chose... The Asus PG279Q can perform 165 Hz and 2K (although i am planning to play on 4K, and i know it isn't the native resolution but it's going to be almost exactly playing on a 4K monitor, right?

On the other hand, i really want a 4K monitor but the major of the 4K monitors only go for 60 Hz and the 4K monitors that go beyond that are really expensive -_-

What should i do? Should i stick to the Asus PG279Q monitor or go for a 4K monitor? And if 4K monitor, should i go more than 60 Hz? Does the option of the smoothest refresh rate should be in count?

I'm looking forward to your opinions :)

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

I actually have yet to see a 4k monitor do more than 60hz (unless a Korean off brand does it). This is a tough call and comes down to personal preference really. I have been on a 1080p/120hz for years now and needed a resolution upgrade for productivity, just got tired of depending on two monitors. I set out to get a 1440p 144hz on black friday, mind you I have used the Asus mg279q and the benq equivalent as I set them up for customers and run benchmarks on them and such. Well, last minute I decided to just go 4k since I really wanted it for productivity (Asus MG28UQ). I broke my IPS and 144hz desire for resolution and I have to say I am totally happy with that decision. Gaming has been awesome; BF1 in particular. The only other games I play are Overwatch and Forza Horizon 3....all casually as I dont have much time to game anymore. The gtx1080 I have pushed 55-70fps+ in those three games, well a lot more on overwatch, think 120fps there. I dont use vsync so I do get some tearing on occasion but it is not too bad. The reward is such a nice resolution to game on and to work.

So I guess I mean to say if you go 4k I do not think you will regret it.....unless you dont have the GPU power, then I would go 1440p for sure. I am a fan of high refresh rate so I am keeping my eye out for 100hz+ 4k monitors in the future but till then I am enjoying the 4k I have. I also have to say, once you use 4k daily it makes 1080p monitors look SOOOooooo pixelated! I mean I set out to still game on my 120hz 1080p because I love refresh rate but I have not since using the 4k monitor.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I was wondering if i was forgotten here but then you came to support. Thanks for the help :)

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

haha no worries, I dunno if I was of any help but good luck on your choice

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks ^_^ You were good help for my choice

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Quick question, what 4K monitor have you got? I'm looking to upgrade to 4K. And Im wondering wether 27/8 inches is enough to utilise all the pixels

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the 28" Asus mg28uq. I would say 28" is the minimum for 4k and think a 29-30" would have been perfect except I haven't seen any that size. I also considered the Dell and Acer 24" 1440p for similar pixel density but went for the larger panel and resolution of the 4k monitor I got instead and am happy with it.

I use a 150% scaling which is what is in the recommended default setting in windows. I can go down to 125% but at times it's hard to read some things so I left it at 150%. 100% is too small to use. That said, at 150% I still get this 4k benefits. I love the increased working space I have which really makes 4 open windows at the same time functional.

It is funny, I have my old monitor still connected for random stuff like YouTube, music, and other stuff and I am shocked when I compare the resolutions side by side. The 23" 1080p looks so pixelated with text and such compared to 4k.

Overall I'm very happy with the mg28uq, I just wish it was IPS but those were out of my budget.

• 33 months ago
  • 2 points

You ask 2K vs 4K, what do you think?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I ask 2K with 165Hz and a 4K with 60Hz. What i meant is smooth gameplay vs beautiful definition gameplay, which 1 should i go with?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

You didnt mention what video card will be connected to your 2K or 4K monitor.

Today, at 1080 video card connected to a 4K monitor, expect on a high end system 45-60 fps. A game like Mafia 3 with everything maxed out on 4K, the frames dip under 30 fps. Many blame this on "the game' itself.

Only a couple of 4K monitors higher than 60 Hz. And they are expensive. $1,000's

IF you have less than a 1070 video card dont go 4K, it will struggle.

I think in your case you want the benefits of both: 1-game play, and 2-visuals. I would recommend 2K with a good video card and you will be enjoying your games today and in the future

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Titan XP it will be the card. But you are right in one thing, some games with all maxed out at 4K, sometimes can't reach the 60 fps sweet spot.

Now, from what you said, put me wondering and reconsidering the monitor that i should buy

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube