add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
TheAcornBender

34 months ago

so i built my pc mid august and everything has been running perfectly until now. i turned my pc on today but it didnt turn my display on my monitor (monitor does work, checked with ps4), neither did it light up my backlight keyboard or mouse. so i took the side panel off and the cpu debug light was lit on the motherboard. all the leds on the motherboard were functioning and all the fans (2 case fans, cpu cooler and gpu) were spinning.

After turning the computer on and off a couple of times it now wont stay on, when i press the power button it will power on for a short while, all leds on motherboard starts up, including the cpu debug led and the fans start to spin but then it stops and shuts down shortly afterwards, then it tries to start up again, repeating until i press the power button off.

any help is appreciated, thanks

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For £177.90
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler Purchased For £32.50
Motherboard MSI H170A Gaming Pro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For £98.99
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory Purchased For £35.57
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For £65.00
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For £43.98
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card Purchased For £238.98
Case Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For £82.99
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For £99.98
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit Purchased For £83.99
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter Purchased For £28.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £988.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-12 14:13 GMT+0000

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 3 points

Take the machine down to the basics.......

***Verify ALL wiring connections are good and that no part that is plugged into the motherboard is loose (All PSU connections)

1) Then try again

2) Remove the 1060........ Wireless card
           Then try again.........

If no luck...... 3) Try your memory in a different slot. Only having one stick makes if difficult to determine if the memory is bad. Still if no luck........ 4) Try your memory in remaining slots

Seldom do CPU's go bad so if you have not found the issue at this point you may have a faulty PSU.

You need to keep trying to eliminate either a component or the slot on the motherboard.

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

so i managed to fix it, not sure what the problem was.

i unconnected everything non essential, graphics card, wifi card, hard drive, ssd and the dvd reader. so all i was left was motherboard, cpu and cooler and the psu

I tried booting but still the same problem. i then moved the ram to a different slot, and rather than the cpu light coming on it stayed off and the dram light came up instead. i then retried the ram in the other two slots and i got a shell message on my display. then put the ram back in the original slot and everything worked fine. computer booted up into windows perfectly. reinstalled everything and its working like nothing ever went wrong, the ram probably just came a bit loose (although im not sure how). thought id post this incase anyone else has/gets a similar problem to me.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Great news

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube