add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i5-2500k Oc

drisky
  • 43 months ago

Hey all,

I just OC'd my i5-2500k to 4.9 Ghz and its very stable....how common is this?

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

If it's completely stable then for sure one of the better chips out there.

OCN is a good spot to check what other sandy users got: http://www.overclock.net/t/968053/official-the-sandy-stable-club-guides-voltages-temps-bios-templates-inc-spreadsheet Most lower, some higher but of course not apples to apples comparison in terms of voltages.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I also had my 2500k at 4.9ghz. I couldn't for the life of me get it to 5ghz, however.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

4.6-4.8 ghz on sandy bridge was pretty common. Anything over 5.0 ghz was rare.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

5ghz-5.2ghz was definitely far more common on Sandy than Ivy, Haswell, and Skylake.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Well yeah it was more common for sandy to make it to 5ghz then anything else recently. Though still 5 was pretty rare for sandy.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Really? I thought it was a bit more common. That was a long time ago though.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah it was pretty long ago and still Intel hasn't really developed anything to justify a 5ghz sandy upgrade unless you just want too.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Common. Sandy bridge and Ivy Bridge chips are WAY better overclockers than the newer stuff. I, myself, have two 5ghz capable 3570k's in my house.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Sandy bridge and Ivy Bridge chips are WAY better overclockers than the newer stuff.

I thought Skylake had better overclocking than ever...

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Nope. lol

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

How many old vs. new CPU's have you tested?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

the general consensus of hundreds of users across dozens of forums is that Sandy/Ivy still overclock the easiest/best. You can find this inf at many places but Overclock.net is a great forum with lots of info on it.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

A little bit common. A decent 2500k could hit 5ghz with the right cooling. A good one could hit 5ghz with less than 1.4v

The Sandy Bridge CPUs were the best overclockers out of all the generations of Core ix processors. A bad one could barely manage 4.6ghz.

I had no trouble getting my 2600k to 4.8ghz w/ 1.34v stable with good temps. Also, when I turned H/T off I could hit 5ghz. For whatever reason I could not hit 5ghz with H/T on.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube