add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best GPU to max most games at 1440p 60 FPS?

CrispyCram

35 months ago

The only articles that I've found on this date back to over a year ago, and considering the new products we have on the market, I feel like it's time to ask again, what is the best card that will max most, if not all games at 1440p 60 FPS? No overkill cards, and please don't include SLI unless it truly outperfoms any other cards at the same price. For example, and these are complete BS numbers, but if 2 SLI'd 290s beat a 970 for the same price, include that. Thanks for any help!

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Gtx 1070. Barely gets that on witcher 3 max. I play a decent amount of games. And not over kill. But a good a spot for 1440p. Will be the 1070.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Seconding the 1070 as the thing you will need to guarantee that 60 fps in every game. You can get away with a 1060 or 480 in a lot of games 1440p 60 fps, but there are definitely some out there that you will have to turn down settings or accept slightly lower framerates (40-55).

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Would a 1060 really cover most games at 1440? I didn't think they could do that, but lowering a few settings here and there or staying above 45 FPS is fine by me especially for such a save on money.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm just referring to benchmarks I have seen from sources such as Gamers Nexus. I can't recall many (if any) benchmarks where the 1060 6gb drops below 40 fps in 1440p on ultra quality, and many stay above 60. Like I said, it's a budget choice that can work. But if you want that guaranteed 60 fps you'll have to go with the 1070. And as for "future proofing" the 1070 is certainly more likely to hold out on keeping up those framerates on future games. And the 1070 isn't a bad value, even with it being what, 125$ or so more than the 1060. Your call in the end.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

The 1060 is meant for 1080p@ 60fps and at 1440p it will struggle. you can get a cheap asus or evga 1070 for under $400 and they will surely give you 1440p@ 60fps

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a 1060 and it plays fine at 1440p high/ultra. I get 45+ fps on witcher 3 with only 2/3 settings down to high. GTA V plays at 60 fps

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm running a 980ti (5fps on avg lower than the 1070) and I can run pretty much any game on the market at 1440p 60fps ultra settings. However, there are still some games I can't max out like tomb raider, witcher, really any major physx games. If you really want an end game single card solution, the 1080 is the perfect card for 1440p since it will overkill it for awhile.

Just to add more information, two 970s = 110% of a 980ti, but I would always recommend a single card solution over a dbl card solution since you'll run into my hardware & software issues with SLI/Crossfire

Also, the 1060 is basically equivalent to the gtx 970 and I can definitely say that the gtx 1060/970 is not a good card for 1440p. You'll barely be able to pass 60fps on some games, but it is the minimum that matters and you'll definitely dip into the 40s,50s easily. (based on what games you play)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube