add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will the GTX 1060 6GB be ok for 1440p gaming?

GabzZz1up

36 months ago

I am building my first pc, and I decided to go with the gtx 1060 for my build. I was wondering if that card can run most games at high settings 60fps+ at 1440p?

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 3 points

Touch and go. Games like GTA V and BF1 will be fine at 1440p but you would have to lower settings on something like The Witcher 3.

The only way to be certain is to get a 1070 or 980ti.

I've got the same dilemma.

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

I just went over some reviews and I think it seems in many games it will get by at 50-60fps at high settings. Ideally I would have recommended a 1070 but I think you will be just there with the 1060 6gb.

For others reading this, remember the 1060 3gb is a slower card and really should have been named something else.

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

As per techreport review data it looks like you'll struggle to hit that target with modern/demanding aaa titles - https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1060_OC/6.html

Do you have a partslist? What's your budget?

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

I run an i5 6500 and a gtx 1060 at 1440p.

I get 60fps in GTA V, mostly very high settings with a few tweaked down to high. Skyrim with realvision is a straight 60fps unless I'm in a very grassy area. Witcher 3 is about 45fps at ultra with foliage visibility and one other setting (I can't quite remember) down to high but if I Overclock the gpu I get about 50-55 fps. Battlefield 1 beta was at ultra 60fps. Fallout 4 is about 45-50 fps with mostly ultra settings with a few tweaked down to high.

So yes, from personal experience it can handle most games at ultra settings 60fps and for those you don't, it's hittable by just decreasing quality from ultra to high. Just make sure if you get one that it's the 6GB version, because I use more than 3gb vram in some games and the 3gb is also slower.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube