add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1070 is NOT overkill for 60hz

roman41xt

36 months ago

Hello guys,

I have been reading a lot of comments that 1070 is an overkill for FullHd monitors. I think most of people who say so don't even have 1070 or 60hz monitor and just watch videos on youtube. My rig is (i7 6700/16gb ram/msi Armor 1070 oc... When I started playing games (like Far cry 3 or Witcher 2) I thought 1070 was an overkill with fps being around 90-120.. I decided to lock my fps to 60. But later I started having dips to 50-55 and it is very noticeable and annoying. I can lock fps to 50 to fix this but then is 1070 an overkill then? 98 percent of the time fps is ok. But there are intense moments when it dips below 60.

Maybe it's not so important for most players and doesn't justify the price difference but I would not say that 1070 is waste of money fot 60 hz as you sometimes don't even get 60 fps with 1070 let alone rx480 or 1060. I can easily shoot the video and show that 1070 is an overkill with fps well beyond 100. But sometimes it drops and you never know when this is going to happen.

I do own 1070 card and 60hz monitor and speak from my personal experience. If the budget is tight.. got for rx480 or 1060.. If you have some extra cash I'd go with 1070. You won't regret it.

Hope it helped someone who has not decided which card to buy.

Comments

• 36 months ago
  • 5 points

If you max out your settings then yes it would bring down most cards to its knees, there will be intensive areas where it will dip. Most people are pointing out the fact that spending that amount of money to maintain the lower end threshold of your fps is wasted since its performance range is a lot higher and its more suited to a 1080p 144hz or 1440 60hz to get the best and most out of the card. Its like buying a Ferrari with top speed of 200mph and taking it on a track with 150mph top speed. Your limiting the best possible experience at the high end cos your worried about the low end. Yeah i might lose out around the corner to a volkswagen but who cares lets take it down the straight.

• 36 months ago
  • 5 points

But there are intense moments when it dips below 60.

"intense moments" = high CPU load, and quite possibly, CPU bottleneck causing your dip below 60FPS.

Use a graphing hardware utilization monitor while playing, look for any thread of the CPU pegging at 100% utilization during these "moments."

• 36 months ago
  • 2 points

Eh. I'm running a gtx 1060 at 1440p and I get 60 fps in every game bar witcher 3 where I'm at 45-50 fps. With only a few settings dropped from ultra to high in most games if not all at ultra

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Just to make sure, you don't have regular V-Sync enabled, right? If you do, when you dip below 60, you are going to be limited to 30 (unless you have enabled adaptive V-Sync.)

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

V-sync is off. I locked fps with riva tuner. My point is 1070 indeed produces way more fps than needed. But ocassionally it cant produce 60. It is not so critical (not sure about 1060 or 480). But if its worse with cheaper cards 1070 is definetely not a waste of money and makes difference. The qyestion is if the difference worth the increase in price

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Meanwhile, here I am using an R9 390, playing Skyrim at 15 FPS on 1080p...

;-;

I hope 4 Titan XP's in SLI can get me 75 fps...

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

mods I'm guessing?

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep. A few mods.

I'm still a noob at this stuff.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

how much Vram are you using with those mods? just curious.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

wait wtf a few??

I run about 160 with a 280x back then and still managed 2.7gigs of vram

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

It can come down to the game itself. There are titles out there you can throw dual Titan XPs and a 6850X at and they'll still dip below 60 fps due to being insufficiently optimized. Large-scale multiplayer and open-world games come to mind.

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Why not buy the 1070 for longevity , I mean if your gonna keep 1080p and buy next years round of cards then by all means buy the sweet spot card i.e. 1060/480. If you plan to keep it longer and play AAA games as they come out get a 1070 or better. That way next year your not turning down eye candy! I mean look at witcher 3 , that will be the standard crap aaa game next year and the others will be worse!

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

EDIT: moved

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

There is no 'extra cash' or 'tight budgets'. If you spend an extra $150-200+ on a 1070, instead of a 1060, then that's $150-200+ which could've been spent on other hardware. There's always a tradeoff...

For 1080p gaming, I'd take a 1060 (6GB) with an i5-6600k, Z170, 8GB DDR4-2666, 240GB SSD, and maybe also a larger HDD, instead of getting a 1070 with an i5-6500, B150 8GB @ 2133, no SSD, smaller hard drive, etc. And that's a conservative estimate. Or, I could've gotten similar hardware but a better monitor with the 1060 build.

I dunno, man. A 1070 doesn't make much sense for 1080p gaming. And if Allan is right about the CPU bottleneck, then I'd really be shooting myself in the foot had I got a 1070 with an i7-6700. Maybe the 1060 with a i5-6600k would have yielded an overall better experience...

• 36 months ago
  • 1 point

Witcher 2 uses serious super sampling AA so if you maxed that out you're effectively running the game at 4k or higher. As for Far Cry 3, I couldn't tell you what is wrong with that. I maxed that game on my i5 3470 and GTX 760. The only things I can think of is if you have the game installed on a mechanical drive and the loading of the open word on a slower drive is causing drops or the game just doesn't play well with a 1070. The only other example I can think of where the 1070 wouldn't be overkill for 1080p60 is Deus Ex Mankind Divided since that game's SMAA (I think it is) destroys performance.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube