add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

ZOTAC GTX 1060 Mini vs MSI GTX 970

nmoses94

37 months ago

I'm trying to choose between these two cards and I can't decide. The 1060 seems to be a better deal, but it only has one fan, and it's smaller, so I feel like I would have to replace it sooner.

GTX 1060 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500405&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

GTX 970 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127966

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Size has nothing to do with performance ;). Seriously though the 1060 mini only has one fan because the zotac mini uses the reference pcb which is tiny. Because it's so small and runs on the newer and more efficient architecture the 1060 draws less power, is more powerful and exhausts much less heat so it doesn't need massive cooling solutions.

The 1060 mini has more vram, runs cooler, draws less power and performs better than the 970 for not much more. And because the 1060 is newer odds are you would have to replace the 970 earlier if you got one (unless you want the possibility of sli configurations).

The 1060 should easily handle cs:go while streaming. Streaming while playing requires a lot more from the cpu than gpu anyway.

As a matter of fact I have the zotac gtx 1060 mini in my computer and it performs incredibly well at 1080p and 1440p if your interested in that. Although if your only interested in games like cs:go and tf2 and aren't concerned about maxing out games then you don't really need that powerful a card, something like a 960 or even a gtx 950 or Rx 460 would suffice. But if you wanted to play a bit of witcher 3, bf1 or GTA v on the side you'll be very impressed with the 1060's performance

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the in-depth reply! That was my main question; since it had only one fan, would it still be able to handle cs:go and streaming at the same time. I chose the i5-6400 CPU as well. I'm also not interested in maxing out my graphics or playing super demanding games. This is my first build and so I'm making something more compact, yet viable. I'm probably going to upgrade to an i7 and a stronger card in like 3-4 years honestly. I was going to pick the GTX 960, but the similarity in cost, yet the jump in power from the 1060 made me choose it instead.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Keep in mind that the 3gb version is not the 6gb version. Aside from less ram, it also has less cores, this less performance.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

For the games, op is playing there will be virtually no difference between the 3GB and 6GB cards.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I know. I just want the OP to keep that in mind.

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay cool. Also, just to add, I probably won't be using max graphics or playing very demanding games. I play mainly CS:GO and TF2 every once in a while. I was just hoping that I could stream and play CS:GO with the GTX 1060.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube