add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Basic Internet/Email PC build

BoostN

79 months ago

Hello,

Can anyone suggest a basic internet/email/MsOffice build for a friend. He works as a in home sales guy. Something decently fast but not break the bank. Somewhere around $500 is his budget. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Comments

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Does he need monitor/mouse/keyboard/OS, too?

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Does he need everything, including mouse, keyboard, monitor, operating system, etc.?

We really need to know these things when working with a budget.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

No, the budget of $500 will be for the PC itself. The only requirements is a graphics card to drive at least 3 monitors. Thanks for your time.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

A $500 PC that will drive 3 monitors is going to come close to that budget without an OS. Is this okay?

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the OS already.. :)

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Both ivy bridge and AMD's APU's will drive three monitors out of the box. Not that I have tried it, I just noted they come with three monitor connections and went to one of the motherboard sites and it said "triple monitor support". So I was like....Neat. Besides, nVidia is the one that seems to be against multi-monitor support :).

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Crap, wiki corrects me once again:

Despite the fact that Intel has been banging its drums about support for up to three displays on the upcoming 7-series motherboards in combination with a shiny new Ivy Bridge based CPU, this isn't likely to be the case. The simple reason behind this is that very few, if any motherboards will sport a pair of DisplayPort connectors.

Read more: http://vr-zone.com/articles/most-desktop-ivy-bridge-systems-won-t-support-three-displays/15407.html#ixzz2N3k1HEPi

[comment deleted]
  • 79 months ago
  • 1 point

...neat. I stand corrected, then.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is what I have so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor $118.79 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock H61M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $44.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $54.98 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card $114.98 @ SuperBiiz
Case NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic 350W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply $47.98 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer $15.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $487.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-07 12:20 EST-0500

Now, I need to run 3 monitors, is this possible on what I have. Any compatibility issues?

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

I see no problem with that at all. And, yes, you should be able to run three monitors.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, I made a change to the GFX Card.. Friend said that was overkill for that PC itself. Any thoughts?

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor $118.79 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock H61M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $44.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $54.98 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce GT 630 1GB Video Card $59.98 @ Amazon
Sound Card Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card $39.98 @ Outlet PC
Case NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer $15.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $474.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-07 19:34 EST-0500
  • 79 months ago
  • 1 point

looks fine but the sound card isnt gonna be much better than the onboard audio

• 79 months ago
  • 2 points

Noob mistake, I wasn't aware of onboard audio. LOL. Thanks! You saved me some money!

Any accessories, like thermal paste, etc I would need?

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

no thermal past needed because the thermal paste is pre applied to the cpu cooler included with the cpu. maybe some cheep case fans to keep it nice and cool

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the 630 supported 2 monitors? If I am correct, you could go for a Gefore GT 640 or some AMD Radeon 6450 will support 3 monitors.

This one even has 3 DVI connections. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-100322flex

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

IF that will work with my MOBO and fit inside the case I'm all for it.

Thanks for the find!

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

I have that card at my office, while it isn't strong enough to run games, it does fine for office work. Glad I could help.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Back again the other way, AMD Trinity APU's DO support it with eyefinity. (source).

That means we can do something like this:

Type Item Price
CPU AMD A10-5700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $128.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard $66.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $47.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $55.57 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic 300W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply $43.98 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer $15.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $419.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-09 12:57 EST-0500

I personally guarantee the quality of every component recommended. I will blow a walmart "computer in a box" out of the water.

The CPU I recommended is AMD's top of the line "Trinity" APU. They are meant for very low budget gaming computers or high end HTPC's. They come with triple moniter support out of the box, though the slight compromise is one of the connections will need to be analog. (D-Sub). Not a big deal, just make sure at least one of the monitors supports that. (I have not used a monitor that DIDN'T offer d-sub, but it is possible, so I thought I would mention it).

(Edit: I moved this so it would be seen by the OP. Saving people money where I can)

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

OMG, i fogot the Power supply AGAIN. sheez.... Just a sec and I will fix.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Fixed, changed to ASRock Mobo, it has some awesome features. Its pretty too!! Plus its cheaper!!!!!!!!

I wanted to point out some details of my selections now.

CPU: The AMD APU's aren't burners by any stretch of the imagination, but the stack up very well against Intels i3's and they do awesome on graphics "stuff". (3 x 1080P, no problem).

MOBO: Integrated USB 3.0 support. Integrated SATA 3 support (in case you ever go with an SSD. Plus why not go with the new standard).

RAM: Standard CAS 9 1600Mhz is great! Awesome brand, proven performance and quality at a decent price.

HDD: Mid-range cheap and small, but the price is right. If you go with this build you have some room left in your budget and you can increase this to a 1TB seagate or WD.

Case: Built-in front panel USB 3.0 support. Excellent quality and airflow. Will serve for many years!

PSU: Seasonic is really doing it right! This is a very cheap high quality power supply. It's overkill for your build, but I wouldn't want someone to purchase a PSU < 300 watts. It gives you some room to grow later if need be.

Optical: These are a dime a dozen. Order by price and choose the cheapest one!

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Why the A10-5700? It's inferior in almost every way to the A10-5800k except in its TDP. The unlocked 5800k is a better option in my opinion. Also the A85 chipset is pretty much unnecessary. Just go with a cheaper A75 chipset mobo. Both chipsets are virtually the same.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

I had a herp derp moment on the processor, you are correct, I am changing it to the A10-5800K. As far as the mobo goes, I already made that change when I was adding the power supply. It even offers 4 RAM slots in the micro-atx form factor. Nice!

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Here you go, with modified processor....

Type Item Price
CPU AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor $128.79 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M Micro ATX FM2 Motherboard $66.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $47.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $55.57 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic 300W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply $43.98 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer $15.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $419.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-09 19:06 EST-0500
  • 79 months ago
  • 1 point

You might also want to consider upgrading to 8 gigs of 1866 RAM, since APU's greatly benefit from that - and the sticks will cost you about the same. Can also go with a cheaper Antec PSU. Still good quality, just cheaper. Other than that I agree with this build.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

not 1866 but 2133, gskill sniper has 8 gigs for around 50$ and dont go for antec, a corsair 430 semi modular really helps with cable management. only cables you cant remove are the cpu and mobo power cables.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Antec is a good PSU manufacturer, though Corsair has been good too. This is a budget build so the cheaper option is better. 2133 is ideal but you can just overclock 1866 RAM to 2133. Mobos at budget prices don't support 2133 RAM straight out of the box, most only support overclocked 2133 RAM.

My understanding on this specific detail is still a bit blurry, but I suppose if you get the Gskill Sniper when it's at around $50 it's not a bad deal. Like I said though, not too sure on how that whole 2133(O.C.) thing on the mobos work.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

That looks good. I guess I find it odd to have three monitors I have to use a DVI, HDMI, and the VGA. Will the resolution not be off? I'm new to all of these configuration and such. Would adding a GFX card with a cheaper mobo benefit me? Thanks for all your recommendations so far, I'm learning alot.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

They make adapters, IIRC.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

The resolution will be fine. However, some people are very sensitive to minute differences in color and clarity. The VGA (D-SUB) adapted monitor may be a little different from the digitally connected monitors. That being said, many times monitors are slightly different ANYWAY even on the same connector. The variations in those cases have nothing to do with the signal (which is identical), but instead are minute differences in the monitors themselves.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Everything is here.

Do I need mobo spacers?

The case has the aluminum places to mount the mobo to is, anything else before i start assembly?

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

The case should have come with motherboard standoffs, though some are pre-installed, which case did you go with? Don't touch any of the sensitive stuff until you ground yourself (Touch the case). Try not to touch the back of your components. (Where the traces are). Don't touch the CPU pins. Be gentle most of the time. Everything will be fine!

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

This build gives you some upgrade room too if you want to start gaming in the future at some point. The price is closer to $400 than $500 too so you get to save yourself some money there.

1)i3-3225 for hyperthreading and Intel HD 4000 iGPU.

2)430 watt Corsair PSU to give you room to upgrade with a GPU in the future if you want to.

3)1866 RAM because it's cheaper than 1600 RAM right now.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, so my PSU doesn't have the ATX12V1 cable to plug in? is this needed?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube