add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Future Investments...Current Situation AMD

fubag

42 months ago

Hey Guys,

I have a custom build from 2013 with a FX6300 and mediocore Gigabyte 970A-DS3P.

With all the advanced in technology these days, I've been thinking about possibly swapping out either my CPU, or both CPU/Motherboard.

I don't want to invest terribly much into my desktop as I generally use it for light gaming, and mostly just browsing, so breaking the bank doesn't make sense to me.

With AMD Zen coming out, do y'all think the FX8350 will significantly drop in price, and be a cheaper option to just swap out? I have a mediocore ASTEK 510LC liquid cooler currently on my 6300.

Should I wait closer to Black Friday to pick up an older generation core i5 and motherboard and swap it all out?

I'd appreciate any insight. I have recently acquired a GTX 1060 for my rig, a massive upgrade from my AMD 7770.

TIA!

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd say this depends on the games you play and what you expect out of your computer. You recently updated the video card and indicated you are pleased with the results.

Do you have a compelling reason to upgrade your CPU now? If not, I'd wait and see what comes next. If you are experiencing a problem with game(s) that you play, I'd suggest you consider doing a partial rebuild with skylake parts (motherboard, ram, cpu) and keeping the other components. I recently did this (FX to Skylake) and am pleased but my motivation for that wasn't gaming related; my FX was great for games.

Something to keep in mind is that It's tempting to see new tech here and want to build with that tech. And it is better but this is all relative. Your FX-6300 isn't that out of date. There are better performers out there, of course but 6 months from now, they'll be something better than the current best. This means the longer you hold off the better you'll get next time. (as even current parts will get cheaper.)

So, my rule of thumb is to hold off until you have a reason to upgrade. Not "because there is better out there" but because "My GPU is bottlenecked" or "the cpu is fully utilized in game x".

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, a few games like Witcher 2 run pretty choppy on my FX6300 at about 35fps on High settings. You're right though for the most part the games I do play run over 60 fps or higher so I'll hold off for now.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

That sounds like a good bet. Additionally, I've heard horror stories about the 970 or lower AMD motherboards not being able to handle the FX 8000 series, especially when overclocked - too much strain on the VRM.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure how much lower the FX-8350 can actually drop. Its sometimes priced at $120 which is mad cheap IMO. Once zen is released id assume AMD would stop producing that CPU and the price will jump up in price for supply and demand. So todays price will probably be the cheapest but i dont see the benefit of going to a 8350 over a 6300 if you only browse and lightly game. The 2 extra cores will have 0 benefit for you and i recommend just overclocking the FX-6300 to 4.2 ghz or something like that for a cheaper upgrade.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

My suggestion would be an H110M motherboard with a single 8GB stick of DDR4 RAM and an i3-6100 to go with your 1060.

This should last you quite a while and will allow you to upgrade to an i5 or an i7 if you end up needing more power.

Note that you listed no budget amount so went basic but the 1060 would really benefit from an i5 like the 6400 or the 6500.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor $110.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $53.88 @ OutletPC
Memory G.Skill Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $30.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $195.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-05 11:50 EDT-0400
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Any upgrade to intel will involve swapping out the motherboard and the CPU, you could look for a second hand I5 Haswell and 1150 motherboard but it really depends on how much money you want to throw at you computer

zen wont be out until Febuary 2017 and I don't see the point of moving to the 8350 as it is old tech now

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube