add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wifi card - which pci-e slot

vekspec

42 months ago

Hello! So I have a bit of a dilemma. So someone on here brought up that my GTX 1080 was running in x8 mode instead of x16 and that I should reorganize my build.

Build

I have it set up where the 1080 is in pci-e x16 and the wifi card in pci-e x4, thereby rendering it to be x8 per the MB's design. the only way to get it to x16 is moving the wifi card to a x1 slot.

However sadly, Gigabyte did a pretty bad job designing the slots on this board. the only usable x1 slot is right above the GPU, which is fine if you had a thin wifi card. However I don't, I have the Asus AC68 which as you can see has a pretty big heatsink. So if I move it to the top pci-e x1 slot, the heatsink would be pretty much be touching the 1080's backplate. Some folks said it was ok and it should be fine, Micro Center guys too, as long as it's not touching the actual PCB.

So my question is: Should I keep the Wifi adapter where it is on the x4 and run at x8 or should I move it to the top pci-e x1 and live with it being soooo close to each other, possibly touching, and get the x16?

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

The graphics card should always go in the pci-e x16 slot, or to put it simply, the top slot.

Networking cards usually go in a small slot (pci-e x4

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

so you are stating to keep it as is with the Wi-Fi in the bottom slot and have the gpu run at x8 instead of x16...

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Keep the wifi as is providing you are happy with the speeds you are getting, move the graphics card to the top slot, PCI-E x16

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz

The Intel Core i7-4790K can handle 16 PCI-E lanes. So your GPU will always work with 8 PCI-E lanes if you add anything besides just the graphics card. (Well, as long as there are still 8 lanes left free for it.)

That being said, there isn't any real noticeable performance difference between a GPU in PCI-E x16 or PCI-E x8.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

ok in that case probably best put the wifi card in the x4 slot so that it doesn't touch the gpu backplate and run at x8 (in the x16 slot) since there is barely any difference since most gpus can't even use x8?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Some reading material on how PCI-E x16 and PCI-E x8 has effects on GPUs, gaming and FPS: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-crossfire-nvidia-sli-multi-gpu,review-31963-5.html

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Are saying the wifi card will not fit in PCIEX1_3 ?

Gigabyte Z97X gaming7 and a wifi card Asu PCE-AC68

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/NwGkcf/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xgaming7

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8VMFf7/asus-wireless-network-card-pceac68

On my Gaming 5 the top PCIe _1 slot is blocked by the CPU cooler, and the PCIe _2 slot is covered by the graphics card, but the _3 slot is open and accessible, and with low profile card like the Wifi card I wouldn' worry much about heat.

But, that said go wired networking if you can in any possible way, you will be happier.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

no, i'm saying that it will fit, only in the top x1 slot, but it would be touching the video card's backplate. the x1 #3 slot will be choking the fans of the 1080 because my wifi card is not low profile, it's an Asus :P

Wired is out of the question. Unless you want me to drag 200 ft of Ethernet cable...

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

What about a powerline network?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

You will be happier in the long run pulling cable. I have one room we have not pulled cable to. We went with powerline type adapter and it is way better than wireless but still not as good as ethernet.

I've found bulk cable is easier to hide along and behind baseboards, but you will need to add connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/Cat5e-Ethernet-Cat-5e-VIVO-CABLE-V002/dp/B0092THNDW

but back to your wireless card, in slot _3 it didn't look like it would interfere a lot with the fans of the graphics card so I'd give it a try there.

Another option is to buy another router and set it up in bridge mode. this allows you to position the router antenna's better. But since you already own the WiFi card this is extra cost.

good luck.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube