add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GTX 1060 or rx 480 8 gig version?

KaneDron

40 months ago

i dont know which one to get i wouldn't mind having nvidia physics on borderlands but what would be best over all for 1080p gaming. GTX 1060 or Rx480

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 5 points

for 1080p the rx 480 4gb and rx 470 4gb would work great.

• 40 months ago
  • 3 points

Ditto. RX 470 if your pressed for a card. Reviews are looking Very very good at 1080p.

• 40 months ago
  • 3 points

Yes they are.. :)

• 40 months ago
  • 3 points

RX 480 8 gb is in my opinion better future proofed considering lots of games are going to be DX12 / Vulkan

• 40 months ago
  • 3 points

For 1080p 4GB is still more then enough but if you are planning to game on 1440p in the near future then 8GB can help.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree.

• 40 months ago
  • 3 points

Depends - if you want the maximum performance out of the box in DX11 games, and already have a monitor that either supports G-Sync or has no frame sync - go for the 1060. It also tends to be much cooler and quieter compared to the reference and lower end AIB 480s, thanks to Nvidia's crazy efficient architecture.

If you have no monitor, and/or want a card that is much more likely to age well thanks to a architecture that is better utilized by new APIs (better performance in future games w/ DX12 and Vulkan) - go for the 480. It isn't that far behind the 1060 in DX11, but it still is - no question. However, if you pair the 480 with a Freesync monitor (especially one of those 144Hz ones w/ a large operating range and Low Framerate Compensation), the experience should be pretty much equal or noticeably smoother to that of a 1060.

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

If newegg shows the 179$ powercolor Rx 470 again that's my placeholder ;)

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

Similar cards in terms of performance with the GTX 1060 edging it,

The best choice will come down to price, if you can pick up a RX 480 for a lot cheper get that, if they are the same price or the 1060 is cheaper then get that

Both will be great cards for 1080p

• 40 months ago
  • 0 points

Screw you guys. 470/480 has generally lower performance and oh yeah what's the energy efficiency like on the oc'd 480/470? A bag of **** just like always.

MSI RX 470 283W, MSI RX 470 OC 354W, RX 480 271W, RX 480 OC 315W, GTX 970 295W, GTX 970 OC 308W,
GTX 1060 230W, GTX 1060 OC 248W,

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol. The difference at max load between the 1060 and 480 partner OC cards is 20-35w. Which is less than 5 dollars a year.. Don't be so salty, nvidia still has the 1070 and 1080.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't game 24/7 with my pc wide open... Do you? :) if so I'm jealous lol I mean I have a 400hp challenger , gets 13 mpg if I run it wide open all the time , it gets 22mpg on the highway to work but I can go 60-85 in one second to pass people :) so I guess I'm saying unless your benching all day and gaming all day there's not enough cost savings there to even factor. I mean ya I could drive a 30-50 mpg car but lol life's to short!

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Generally it is best to get the most powerful GPU you can afford. So if you can get a 1060 in your budget that is the way to go. If not, you don't sacrifice much by going with a 480 or 470.

• 40 months ago
  • 0 points

While I agree with the philosophy, the 1060 is not an outright clear winner against 480. They trade blows.

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

They trade blows in a limited amount of games right now. The vast majority of games out right now and scheduled to come out in the near future are DX11 games in which the 1060 produces more FPS.

• 40 months ago
  • -3 points

The RX 480 is better in every way. The 1060 is a fanboy card.

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

To be honest, saying that the 1060 is a fanboy card, makes you look a little like a fanboy too haha

• 40 months ago
  • 0 points

Sorry but the 1060 is faster than the 480 in every aspect in dx 11 and equals it in dx 12

• 40 months ago
  • 0 points

pascal is what you see is what you get, it's great but I'm seeing too much boost for amd on the new api and not being able to sli incase sli ever actually becomes viable.

• 40 months ago
  • -1 points

LOL. So wrong. A ton of the benchmarks for the 480 were done with beta drivers and reference cards. The new benchmarks with current drivers and partner cards are way better. The partner OC'd 480's are equal to the 1060 in dx11 and beat it in dx12 and vulcan.

And we aren't even mentioning sli, freesync, crossfire, price, and all the other reasons the 480 is better.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Sources please? Not that I'm doubting you.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

You have the internet right? There are reviews all over the internet. Look up the sapphire nitro+ 480 8gb benchmarks. They are back and forth within 5fps of the msi 1060 gaming x in dx11. Basically even, just depends which game you look at. But the 480 takes all the dx12 and vulcan benches by 10+fps.

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

hi¡ maybe u are an amd fanboy or maybe not, i dont care bout that, 1060 performs like 10fps more on dx11, and yes, rx 480 is better on dx12, but not ALL games, like tomb rider, the talos principle (which has vulkan...) but anyways, i do think rx 480 its a better card overall, it does takes some dx11 tittles, such as blak ops 3, for what ive seen the nitro card does not perform better than the rx 480 reference, i think that if want to buy an aftermarket rx 480 you should buy the msi gaming x, performs like 5fps more, you can do a much better overclock, and its cheaper, but it doesnt come with rgb lightinig, but i dont mind it if i am going to have better performance

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube