add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2 new PSUs won't boot, old will

Garfield1
  • 46 months ago

My first build in a long time and it's been giving me quite a headache. Initially I bought the corsair listed below and it only booted once and never again. Connected an old PSU and it booted instantly. Now weeks later I purchased a new Thermaltake listed below and again it won't boot up. Again I troubleshoot it by connecting my old psu and it boots instantly. So what's with these new PSUs or am I doing something wrong or is there a compatibility issue.

Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Thermaltake Toughpower TPD-0750M - SLI / CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Gold Certification and Semi Modular Cables Black Active PFC Power Supply Intel Haswell Ready (PS-TPD-0750MPCGUS-1)

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Are all the cables plugged in properly?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I plug in the new psu the same way I plug in the old psu. The 24 pin and 4 pin only fit one way and I push them down as far as they'll go

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

What are your PC specs? Are you connecting the power properly to mobo and CPU.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Parts look fine, cant see any conflicts besides the RAM speed 2400 over 2133 mobo but it should automatically be downclocked.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Any way of testing those PSUs on another PC. Very unlikely they are both no good but can happen. Make sure its plugged into the MOBO and CPU headers, power to GPU, drives and your front panel power connections. Turn power on from powerpoint or adapter then from back of your PSU.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll plug it into my old pc tomorrow and I'll try that psu on the new build as well.

there's only 2 differences between the old psu that actually works and the new ones, the 24 pin on the new ones has one pin missing that the old one doesnt and the 4 pin is an 8pin that I split.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

looks like both have been no good, plugged it into the old pc and it didn't power on. the evga 430w that's in that pc did power the old pc and the new pc just fine but the new psu powered neither. what luck do I have

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah just return them for exchange. yeah i would be pretty p'd off with both not working. I still have a OCZ Fatality running from 8yrs ago with no issues just put it into my nephews PC. Strange things electronics are......

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube