PCPartPicker

• Register

RX480 8GB, Normal or FactoryOC ? why do the FactoryOC even exist when we can do it by ourselves?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

alplayer01 32 months ago

Hello,

I can see that there are 2 versions, both 8GB from XFX. One is 1288 and the other is 1328, which one should I get?

the second one is more expensive, It might sound like astupid question. but, cant I overclock the first to reach or even get passed the clock of the second ? why do they do FactoryOC anyways if we can do it by ourselves ?

Comments Sorted by:

JackMex 2 points 32 months ago

Save yourself some money if you can overclock it yourself. Make sure that you have the PSU to backup any extra overclocking.

Why a factory OC vs. a stock card? Because someone people would rather pay for an overclocked version than just do it themselves.

alplayer01 submitter 2 points 32 months ago

Is it that difficult to Overclock a GPU ? AMD even has a dedicated program to do that !

JackMex 1 point 32 months ago

Nope, just use the software available to you. Usually GPU vendors will provide you with their own software. For example MSI, has Afterburner.

Make sure to find your GPU's stable overclock before using it for continued use. You'll want to avoid 'artifacts' and system crashes.

alplayer01 submitter 1 point 32 months ago

But, isn't it easy to overclock the card?

also, I saw a video of a person using XFX Card and overclocking it using MSI Afterburner in 30 seconds and job's done !

is it really that simple ?

JackMex 1 point 32 months ago

Yes.

Ksongs 2 Builds 1 point 32 months ago

They do it for sales and marketing. Also for people who don't want to overclock for themselves (there are a good amount of people) and a little extra power out of the box doesn't hurt anyways.

alplayer01 submitter 1 point 32 months ago

But, isn't it easy to overclock the card?

also, I saw a video of a person using XFX Card and overclocking it using MSI Afterburner in 30 seconds and job's done !

is it really that simple ?

Ksongs 2 Builds 1 point 32 months ago

Yes it is, but that doesn't mean people will want to do it. Also yes while you can just overclock in 30 second most people who overclock take longer because they want to test for stability afterwards. They want to make sure they're using the correct voltage as in making sure that they have pushed the clock speed as far as possible with as little voltage increase as possible. Test for artifacting and over heating.

Overclocking makes new people nervous in general they don't want to mess up the GPU they just spent money on and some people don't want to put in the time.

m52nickerson 1 Build 1 point 32 months ago

If you have a situation like this one, same PCB, same cooler, their is little reason to get an factor overclocked card other then the fact you are guaranteed that overclock.

Most of the time factory overclocked cards also have better coolers and better power delivery then non-overclocked reference PCB. Also there is no guarantee that if you get an non-OC card you can reach the OC found on cards from the factory. It comes down to the silicon lottery.