add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Differences Between SLI and Crossfire

devondale16

40 months ago

Yes I know that they are made by different brands but that's like saying Intel and AMD are exactly the same but different brands, but what is the actual differences?

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

They perform slightly differently, though there's no direct comparison since no card can use both SLI and Crossfire. Certain AMD GPUs can Crossfire over PCIe lanes alone (i.e. no bridge connector required) given the right motherboard, but that's the only functional difference I can give you off the top of my head.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay thanks just wondering.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

They generally do the same task (allow you to link and get the benefit of two cards.

Crossfire is a term AMD uses, SLI is a term Nvidia uses

So two AMD cards would be put in crossfire and two Nvidia cards would be put in SLI

I should probably add that not every motherboard allows you to either crossfire or SLI so if this is in your plans make sure you get a motherboard that is capable

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh yea, I wasn't planning on actually doing it atm, I was also wondering if there were any differences between performance, what actually gets utilized like vram and stuff and power consumption, like that kind of stuff.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Not really, whether you are using Nvidia or AMD you won't get the full performance of two cards in SLI or crossfire, by that I mean just because one card may give you 60fps at a certain setting, that doesn't mean you will get 120fps with two cards.

You don't get twice the vram either, if both your cards had 4gb of vram you would still only get 4gb of vram and not 8gb, even with two cards in sli or crossfire.

You could usually expect one and half times the performance with 2 cards in sli or crossfire.

the downsides to crossfire and sli are the extra power requirements and the extra heat you create by having two cards over one. It is generally considered better to buy the best single card you can afford rather than buying two lesser cards

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube