add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
rhali8
  • 45 months ago

Hey guys! If you've read the description of my newest completed build, my friend ditched his old HD 5830. By ditched I mean he gave it to me. I am comparing to my current R9 380, and the card is massive. Specs don't seem to bad either, it has 1GB of GDDR5 memory, which is great too. I have a couple questions.

1. Can I crossfire it? Is it possible to do so, and will it give me any noticable performance increase? The idea of crossfire seems great, but I'm not sure if I can do it with two different AMD GPUs.

2. If I can't CF, how much would it be worth in AUD? I might sell it if I don't CF it. Or I could...

3. Potentially buy a Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition, 8GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD for about $120. Pair it with the GPU, an old case I have lying around and a cheap decent PSU and I might have a semi capable gaming rig depending on its performance. This is another question BTW, how does this card perform in modern titles (Watchdogs, Forza 6 Apex, Just Cause 3, Etc).

Thanks everyone! I might post a dank photo of it and compare it to my old card if I can find the time. :D

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

IT is about equal to a gtx650. It uses 175w of power. You could CF it bout you would need a PSU with 4 pci power connectors and even then it would only be a little less powerful than a gtx750. It is worth about $20 USD or less.

In modern titles, expect 30fps or less at low settings at 1080p.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

That's not too bad. I think I'll still sell it though. Thanks for the help! :D

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

General Discussion or Video Cards? I assume the staff will move it for you so no need to post it over there.

Anyways...

Can I crossfire it? Is it possible to do so, and will it give me any noticable performance increase? The idea of crossfire seems great, but I'm not sure if I can do it with two different AMD GPUs.

You can Crossfire two different AMD video cards, unlike you cannot SLI two different NVIDIA video cards, but a Crossfire setup with two cards with different speeds/performance may cause the slower one to bottleneck the faster one, in turn causing micro stuttering (which can be very annoying), similar to how a CPU bottleneck on the GPU can also cause micro stuttering.

If I can't CF, how much would it be worth in AUD? I might sell it if I don't CF it. Or I could...

How much does it cost new? (If they even sell it new anymore, I doubt it.) Depends on its performance and how it compares to a modern day video card in performance and price.

Potentially buy a Core 2 Quad Extreme Edition, 8GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD for about $120.

Why would you want a Core 2?? There's no Core 2 Quad Extreme, but they'res a Core 2 Quad and a Core 2 Extreme. Which RAM and which SSD? Not sure if it's even worth $120.

Pair it with the GPU, an old case I have lying around and a cheap decent PSU and I might have a semi capable gaming rig depending on its performance.

Sounds like a scrap box to me. Make sure that "cheap" power supply isn't a dangerous power supply. There are many dangerous power supplies out there. Never use any of those, even if they're extremely cheap.

This is another question BTW, how does this card perform in modern titles (Watchdogs, Forza 6 Apex, Just Cause 3, Etc).

Depends on how hard you play. I don't really know because I haven't played those games. You need both a good processor and a good video card for a good gaming experience; one does not substitute the other's performance.

Hope this helps.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I meant Core 2 Extreme, but yeah, thanks for the help. I think I'll go ahead and sell it, I might get $40 or so for it.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Core 2 Extreme is better than an FX-9590

WHAT. Is it actually? I doubt it, they are selling for like $45 AUD.... If they are, I might build a second system.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Scratch that. I meant the A8-3850. Some sort of miscommunication/misunderstanding of mine.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah. No problems. That's still not that bad...

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > Off Topic" to "Hardware > Video Cards".

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Stop spamming, and stop trolling.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Why on earth are you comparing a $20 graphics card to a $1000 graphics card.

2. The GTX 1080 is a waste of money for 1080P and 1440P gaming. A GTX 1070 will already max out everything for both those resolutions.

3. Wait for the AMD counterpart to come out. If they are as good as the RX 480, NVIDIA cards will be deemed garbage.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Uh, not nerd rage. My point was that the GTX 1080 is a card that isn't worth buying. Just because it is the best performing card on the market doesn't mean you should buy it.

This thread was asking about my HD 5830, and what I could do with it. It wasn't asking whether I should spend $1000 on a new graphics card. My R9 380 does the job perfectly fine for $200.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

1080 frames per sec on 60p

Just asking, was that deliberate or a typo? 60p is a resolution from 14 years ago, and 1080FPS is unachievable on that card on pretty much every game besides minecraft.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube