add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Time Building a Computer

thebigbadpineapple
  • 47 months ago

This is my first time building a PC. This is my build, and I'd like some feedback. I have only bought the GPU so far, so change is still possible. I bought the GPU a few days prior to the 1060's announcement, so bleh. I'm manly unsure about the motherboard, but advice on any parts is helpful. So are tips on building the thing. Thank you! All help is appreciated!

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/djKFtJ

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

So your cpu is an overclocking one but your motherboard does not allow overclocking. I would either choose a z-170 board so you can overclock or get a non overclocking cpu. Im suspecting this is largely for gaming so you could EASILY get away with just getting a i5-6500.

But looks good, the Kingston ssd isnt great and like an adata premier would be better and cheaper.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Any suggestions for the specific model of motherboard? As you can see, I'm quite new to the PC scene. Also, would the i7 vs i5 make any significant difference in game? If it would, I'd prefer getting it now, as I want to get a pretty future proof build.

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

I personally would go i5, theres very very low difference in games, do you want to overclock?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I most likely will end up overclocking, at least mildly. As for the i7, what would it change? Looking to learn more about all of this as I go.

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

so an i7 adds more threads, both have 4 physical cores but the i7s 4 cores will show up as 8 paths for computing to take place (basically) which helps with work delegating in applications that like multiple threads (video editing, multitasking e.g those 400 Chrome tabs) i7s also always have better integrated graphics, which you will not use but are still paying for. i7s also generally have higher cache sizes and can store more information on themselves to be accessed quickly which helps in predictable, repeated tasks. Games are unpredictable and benefit from less, faster cores they will sometimes want to put the 5th thread of the i7 to use, but rarely so i5s are far better value for gaming but i7s can see like 7% performance boosts. :P

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

If I were to get an i5, would I have to replace it any sooner than an i7? I'm looking to future proof it as much as possible. I don't want to save $100 now only to have to make a $450 expense down the road. I'm planning to eventually start with VR too. (Once I don't have to sell a lung to buy a Vive.) Will that be affected by the difference? Also, will it affect things like Skype running in the background while playing a game?

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $229.99 @ B&H
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $39.30 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $145.00 @ NCIX US
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $71.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $63.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $60.00 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card Purchased For $459.99
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 USB3.0 ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99
Power Supply EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $74.49 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $21.74 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 OEM 64-bit $119.00
Case Fan Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans $21.99 @ Newegg
Monitor BenQ GL2460HM 24.0" 60Hz Monitor $153.90 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1521.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-22 16:19 EDT-0400

here, an overclocking i5 on a great motherboard that will help push its speed, I switched your ssd for a similar one by a company with a better track record. And thats a two pack of fans thats cheaper and just as good or better.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. What would you say about Win 7 vs 10? I don't really know much about the differences except that I've had a few people preach at me about getting 7.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say that those people were just complaining, Windows 10 has issues but the far majority of people use it and I wouldnt call it a downgrade from 7, I would get the non pro version too unless you need something that the pro version has

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Plus it's cheaper. (I'm kind of pissed that I didn't buy it on Prime Day when it was $89 ARGH) What's the difference between OEM and Retail?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

OEM sticks to your motherboard.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

What does that mean for me in practice?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Just wanted to add that even though dx12 is considered AMD's territory Nvidia cards are seeing improvements with dx12 and Windows 10.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Any opinion on my GPU choice?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

didnt you already buy it?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah. I just want to have more of an idea of it's reputation as a card in general. I know it's powerful.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube