add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best Phones as of July 2016

rhali8
  • 46 months ago

Hello! This is a forum for opinions. What phones do you guys think are the best currently out there?

You have to consider:

• Price
  • Performance (This is a tricky one. For example, the Galaxy S7 and Nexus 6P. The Galaxy does outperform the nexus, but it isn't noticable when using them which makes this argument invalid)
  • Material Quality
  • Operating System Quality (Opinion)
  • Reliability
  • Storage
  • Expandability

I personally think the Google Nexus 6P is the best phone on the market today. It has one of the best cameras in the world, is lightning fast and has an amazing price for what it delivers.

Your vote will be counted every time a comment with the phone you like is made. The current list is below:

• 1st - Google Nexus 6P (5 Votes)
  • 2nd - OnePlus 3 (4 Votes)
  • 3rd - iPhone 6S (3 Votes)
  • 4th - iPhone 6S Plus (2 Vote)
  • 5th - iPhone 6 Plus (1 Vote)
  • 5th Tying - HTC 10 (1 Vote)

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 5 points

[Please note: I do \not/ intend this post to be or look like an advertisement]

Nexus 6P. It is unlocked but works with Google's Project Fi service, which runs on three cellular networks and is only $20/month for unlimited talk and text. You can actually order a Photos or Places Live Case from Google for $35 off the Google Store. It is one of the only phones with an aeronautical grade aluminum case. Plus, it has stock Android and receives updates the fastest in the Android ecosystem, making it one of the most secure phones. Unlike iOS, Android is open source. And last but not least, it's from Google and I really like Google (I detect a bit of self-bias).

Second option would be Nexus 5X, but it doesn't have the nice aeronautical aluminum case as the Nexus 6P.

P.S. Anyone remember the announcement of an Android security researcher that Nexus and Samsung phones were the only secure phones in the entire Android ecosystem. Only approximately 6% of all Android phones run Marshmallow, Google's latest generation of Android, and the most common version is KitKat, which is unpatched from the world's largest security vulnerability, Stagefright.

Anyone heard of Google's Project Ara modular phones that will be shipping by 2017?

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Yay! Nexus master race!

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Ara isn't going to succeed lol. Just like Glass

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Ara isn't going to succeed lol. Just like Glass

Huh? Why not?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Modular phones just fill one niche, plus they removed the modules that people care about.

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Modular phones. They are the future of phones, or sort of.

https://atap.google.com/ara

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 2 points

S7 Active and iPhones 6s for that Apple development perk.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Added :D

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Let me give a list, and hopefully not a too long explanation for all of them.

1. Nexus 6P

While the performance is a little lackluster compared to the Snapdragon 820 flagships, this phone does NOT slouch. It comes unlocked, in colours that would satisfy any person, and comes in a build quality unrivaled by most. It ships with stock Andriod, and is the gleaming flagship for all Andriod experiences, the best Google (and Huawei) can make, running the latest versions of Andriod. It's a flagship, and the prime example for what Andriod is, and what it represents.

2. OnePlus 3

If there was ever a flagship killer, I don't know what is. OnePlus to me was like the Apple after Apple, or at least what I think they wanted to be. Showing the world that you can make great phones for less, cut not too much down, and still bring a simple, clean, amazing experience that is rivaled only by Google truly. The OnePlus 3 is a amazing example of this. Sure, it's not the legendary prices that it's predecessor was, but for half the price, offer an amazing, almost groundbreaking experience compared to the likes of Samsung, HTC, and Motorola. For HALF the price. No compromises, other than arguably the screen and a few other small features.

3. iPhone 6S (+)

Apple has always been Apple, for better or for worst. They know how to make a beautiful phones, a operating system to match, and swaying audiences while keeping their prestige. I honor and respect Apple for how influential they are, not just by selling phones, but by changing up the strategies for other companies. Regardless, their newest lineup, the iPhone 6S (+), while a product that doesn't really test the waters and do something risky like Motorola, they are dead set on doing at least what they do well, amazingly. Building a simple, clean, iconic design, with a OS that is similarly simple, clean, and iconic. Compared to the 6 series, the 6S (+) has a upgraded TouchID sensor, a very welcome sight, much faster storage speeds, as well as the per usual of S series. S stands for speed, right?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

S stands for speed, right?

Imo S stands for same. lol.

That is a very nice roundup. I'll add a vote for all three :D

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I went from an S5 to the iphone 6 plus. Then upgraded for free to the 6s plus.

iphone 6 plus was my first iphone and I gotta admit I really liked it. Way more than I ever thought. But going to the 6s plus was a huge giant mistake. I have constant problems with the 6s. I've even exchanged it... twice... and the same problems keep coming back. Was a huge let down since I didn't even need to upgrade, wife loved her 6s so much I figured... eh, it's free. Not sure I'll stay with the iphone though, but I've never been a huge fan of Android either.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

So a 6 plus?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

yes

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice. Not really my phone of choice, but it is a nice phone :3

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I never had any intention of getting an iphone. But after a dozen renditions of android I was DONE.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Which android phones in particular? There are quite a few garbage ones. I stick to Asus and Google.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Turbo 2 is cool, but any nexus will be cool

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

So turbo or nexus?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Mmm... Nexus I guess, but the turbo is RIGHT behind...

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Woo!

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I recommend you put the 6s and 6s plus in the same catagory, they are the same thing, just bigger screen

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

There are a couple differences. The 6S plus has a better camera, a bigger battery and is heavier. They also have different resolution screens and the 6S plus is slightly thicker. On top of all this, there is a price difference.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll give it to the 6S because I own one. I've used a 6P for a bit firsthand (legit only like 5 minutes) and it was nice but Apple certainly is not bad. With that being said, on the Android side I would have to give it to either the Nexus 6P or the OP3.

Go ahead and cast my vote to the 6S.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok :)

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally I love the Black Berry Priv. I wouldn't call it the best phone out there, but I'd consider it perfect for someone like me, who doesn't use their phone all that much except to maybe browse the web or watch videos when i'm lazy.

Sports Android OS, 1440p curved screen is a plus, Solid camera nothing amazing, but solid, and I love the "hidden" keyboard which can act as a trackpad and hotkeys for apps. Always preferred a physical keyboard to a touch screen.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

The LG F60 was the best phone for the price imo a while ago. It came with a camera that could take decent photos and not like ****. It supports 4G LTE. It's battery could et you through the day. It ran Android 4.4 (KitKat) which was a smooth and nice looking OS. Came with decent CPU and GPU. Had a nice screen (probably 480p or 5**p). Comfortable to hold. Great Speakers and microphone. I could go on.

It was a GREAT budget phone for about $50 in 2014. My sister owned it and I was jealous lmao. it was Way better than my $150 Lg Optimus L9 from 2013. Oh my god was my phone a piece of ****. It's amazing how phones are getting faster and cheaper every year.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I still use my HTC One M7! It's a great phone that still works beautifully. I have an iPhone 5S from work (the only apple product I've ever owned). I can see the appeal but I'd never consider one for personal use. If I were to buy a new one today it would definitely be the OnePlus 3. Lots of power under the hood for a fraction of the cost of a "flagship" device.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Xiaomi mi5

Amazing value, great performance, aesthetics for less.

Price - http://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_294068.html?currency=CAD&gclid=Cj0KEQjwlNy8BRC676-W0JezxbwBEiQA4Ydg0RDoPA-kTtJwnVClZOHJS9DLHFL30SI4TIrM7Dd2BwMaAhza8P8HAQ

Xiaomi mi5 vs huawei/google Nexus 6P - http://www.ibtimes.com/xiaomi-mi-5-vs-nexus-6p-price-availability-design-specs-features-showdown-2338859

GSMarena lowdown of the Xiaomi mi5 - http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_5-6948.php

It uses MIUI 7, which is variation of android. I believe you can special order the phone with android but INS.

Im not saying its absolutely the best, but you should look at it.

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Added both of them :)

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Fixed. :)

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, +1 for the HTC 10 mention. I'm looking into that as an upgrade to my E8.

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

My dad had an iPhone 5 and just recently switched to an s7 with no issues.

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

They all kind of pail in comparison; like KIK, Whatsapp, etc. Kind of ****** of apple to announce it won't ever come to Android, at least not anytime soon.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

pulls gun to head

just joking :P Added.
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey man, I think people should have a right to express their non-Nexus opinion without involvement of violence.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I was just joking. I'm cool with any and every opinion :)

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

pulls trigger and gets squirted by water

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Just wondering, do you play Pokemon Go?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Myself more into 6s, glad you aren't afraid to talk about "that" company here...

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

shudders

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube