add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinions and Feedback (Desperately) Wanted

TautologicalRecursion
  • 46 months ago

Recently came up with a pretty comprehensive list of what I want for a college workhorse computer I'll be using for hopefully the next five years (at least). I'm pretty sold on the CPU, and most of the build centers around it. It's worth noting that PC Part Picker doesn't have the exact motherboard I want; I'm actually looking for a ASUS P10S WS for the additional PSI slots and ports at a similar price. (I really like the C236 chipset.) The only things I sort of just went with were the PSU, RAM, and case. All others were researched to a fair degree, but any and all feedback is wanted! Thanks for the look guys, I really do appreciate it. --Eric

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $344.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $43.53 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus P10S-M WS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $209.87 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $114.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $160.58 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.49 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card $163.99 @ Newegg
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case $97.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $77.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.88 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1355.78
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $1325.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-20 23:39 EDT-0400

Comments

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll have to look into that PSU then. (One of) the reason(s) I went heavy on processor and memory was that I need this PC to be good at virtualization which requires lots of each, split among multiple processes. The GPU on the other hand would only be used to boost the gaming side of the base OS, and for the money, the GTX960 seemed plenty to me. Is it not? Best Buy currently has a decent deal on a 1080, but it looks like overkill to me. I have no desire to play everything on ultra with three monitors at 100+ FPS. Realistically I'll just have two monitors and use only one for any gaming.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Fair enough. I think I'll go with the GTX 1070 just for longevity's sake if nothing else. Also a big thanks for the heads up on the PSU. Found a good explanation of their issues here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1476935/why-you-should-not-buy-an-evga-supernova-nex650g-750g-aka-g1

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube