add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What should I update in my PC?

ryanschureman
  • 46 months ago

I have a pretty decent gaming PC build, but the parts are becoming kind of old. What should I upgrade to keep it running games at high settings at 1080p? I've been thinking about getting the GTX 1070, GTX 1060 or RX 480.

Here's my current build (the parts are either the exact ones or close to it): http://pcpartpicker.com/list/3VqGGf

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

You should probably go with the RX 480 if you want to play games at high settings at 1080p, the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 are overkill for 1080p

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

What about the 1060?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

At this rate, I would pretty much say to get a new PC.

• 46 months ago
  • 0 points

I would agree. My post has a $742 upgrade and that's a bit much for upgrading an old PC.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll take a look at it.

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I would check what the bottleneck is. Is it the CPU or the GPU? Use CPU-Z, GPU-Z, Windows' Task Manager to monitor what runs at 100% load during gaming / when your FPS is low.

Then you'll see if that's the CPU or the GPU that needs replacement. Maybe both.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I've checked up your motherboard. It says it can handle i7-980X CPU, and basically all 1366 socket CPUs. (Might require BIOS update though.)

If it turns out it's your CPU, you can get one of these extreme edition 6 core CPUs on e-bay for $220. It has about the same score as the i5-6600K on PassMark. The single core performance is worse by 32% but all you need to spend is just about $220 instead of a new computer.

If it's the GPU, then all you need to buy is a GPU, not a full new computer either.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Did some more reading. Your motherboard supports overclocking. Your CPU supports overclocking. So if it's your CPU that's holding your back, all you might need is just to overclock it for some extra performance. Please note, that you might want to buy a decent CPU cooler for that if you don't have any. I wouldn't to OC with the stock Intel cooler.

A good HSF can be bought for $25 or so (Cryorig H7, Cooler Master EVO 212, be quiet! Pure Rock, and similar air cooler)).

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the research. I haven't overclocked anything before, though. If you have a link to a good overclocking guide, I'll be sure to take a look at it.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

But the link is in the post above. Click on "overclock it".

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't read the whole trhead, I just want to throw in, that the MOBO has no PCIe 3.0 slot. So I guess a new gen GPU will slow down to PCIe 2.0 ?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

How badly will that affect performance?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

The bandwidth of 2.0 is still so high it shouldn't affect performance. But I don't know if those video cards have like a build-in-brake as soon as they are put into a 2.0 slot.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I would for sure get a better PSU, that one isn't good. Its borderline junk.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=188

I would say your PSU, CPU, motherboard, GPU, ram. There also are much better cases out now. Also I would get a SSD. Basically you are looking at a whole new build besides the storage and optical drive.

• 46 months ago
  • 0 points

Wow that Core i7-920 is ancient. Maybe something like this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $227.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $43.53 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $85.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill NT Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $17.98 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Blue 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $53.49 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital Blue 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $53.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC GAMING Video Card $259.99 @ Amazon
Case Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Cooler Master GX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
Optical Drive Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive Purchased For $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $762.46
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $742.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-20 18:47 EDT-0400

Or just start a new build from scratch?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Why?!

• Only 4 GB RAM?
  • 2 x 1 TB HDD?
  • 5200 RPM HDD when there are 7200 RPM 1 TB HDDs for cheaper?
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Only 4 GB RAM?

8 GB would be better, not sure about budget.

2 x 1 TB HDD?

What's wrong with 1 TB? Two hard drives is for data redundancy.

5200 RPM HDD when there are 7200 RPM 1 TB HDDs for cheaper?

Really, 5200 RPM? I thought they were 7200 RPM and 5400 RPM.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

If I'm not sure of the OPs budget, I usually ask them. And also put some explanation next to my build justifying the choices.

Still, why 2 x 1 TB HDD, when 1 x 2 TB HDD is cheaper? Redundancy? RAID 1?

He did not mention he need anything like that. He said he's gaming. RAID 1 is to keep your data secure 24/7 and your system operational even on drive loss. For games, if someone is really concerned, it's enough to keep a backup of save files. Do that every now and then and that's it. I wouldn't bother with RAID unless someone wants to learn RAID. Otherwise kinda pointless in a home (especially gaming) system.

Really, 5200 RPM? I thought they were 7200 RPM and 5400 RPM.

Happens to the bests of us :)

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Still, why 2 x 1 TB HDD, when 1 x 2 TB HDD is cheaper? Redundancy? RAID 1?

Yes, redundancy.

He did not mention he need anything like that. He said he's gaming. RAID 1 is to keep your data secure 24/7 and your system operational even on drive loss.

It's still important to have backups IMO.

For games, if someone is really concerned, it's enough to keep a backup of save files. Do that every now and then and that's it.

Weekly or so.

I wouldn't bother with RAID unless someone wants to learn RAID. Otherwise kinda pointless in a home (especially gaming) system.

Yeah, I usually have two drives in any of the parts lists I create for live, realtime data redundancy.

Happens to the bests of us :)

It actually is a 5400 RPM drive.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, redundancy.

What I mean RAID 1 is not to replace backups, it's to keep your system running without loss of operation time even when a drive fails. You can hot swap the broken drive and the RAID array will be rebuilt with the new one without the computer being shut down. That's for business applications.

For home users, regularly copying family pictures / videos / music / game saves / whatever on a 2nd drive to keep a backup copy is the economic way. Having the backup in the same machine is a bit pointless. If the 1st drive fails due to power surge, the 2nd one is prone to suffer damage too. If it's theft (burglary) both of the drives are gone... Copies shall be kept on a separate location / "on the cloud" for better safekeeping. And secondary copies could also be made of really important data.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I would like to keep the total below ~$600 if possible.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

How about this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $229.99 @ B&H
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $43.53 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $85.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $30.98 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GAMING Video Card $249.99 @ Amazon
Case Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Cooler Master GX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
Optical Drive Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive Purchased For $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $713.97
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $693.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-20 21:34 EDT-0400

It's still a bit over budget. If you need it to be less expensive let me know and I can take a performance sacrifice to snug it in your budget.

• 46 months ago
  • 0 points

Why replace the perfectly fine HDD's?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Please remember to comment when you are downvoting.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube