add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming Build for the Summer before College! (First time)

AgentHydrogen
  • 47 months ago

Hello fellow PC master race! I am wanting to build a mid to high end range pc around 1,000-2,000. I would like everything (pc and monitor) to be in that price range, but its flexible. I basically need you guys' help to fill in the gaps. I would like to be able to have a 980ti as well as a 6700k cpu.

Hopefully it's as easy as some people say (like legos?), but the only thing I'm worried about is the configuration and all that stuff I don't know about. Fingers tight there's no problems with the parts though. If y'all would help me here and give some tips for a beginner that would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: I had to change the budget to 1,000 -2,000 dollars cause "college stuff".

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point
  • Your case comes in black, white or some kind of grey
  • You can choose an air-cooler instead of AiO water-cooling system (I suggest the be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 then)
  • You could get more storage
  • You could get cable mods
  • You could get that monitor (27" 144Hz 1440p 1ms) from DELL or from Asus ROG series
  • The keyboard is a placeholder, take the keyboard YOU like, but make sure it has red or brown cherry-mx-switches
  • The mouse is a placeholder (often people don't like Razer (I never used something else)), take the mouse YOU like, but make sure it is an optical mouse

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $345.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $114.88 @ OutletPC
Thermal Compound Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme 3.5g Thermal Paste $12.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $199.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $317.72 @ B&H
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card $669.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX ATX Mid Tower Case $164.84 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $114.97 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit $108.99 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor Asus MG278Q 27.0" 144Hz Monitor $389.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Cherry MX-Board 3.0 Keyboard Wired Standard Keyboard $88.98 @ PCM
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma Wired Optical Mouse $57.99 @ Amazon
Headphones Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset $85.68 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2742.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-14 01:02 EDT-0400
  • 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you sir! Curious about why you chose that mobo? Which would be better water-cooled or fans?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Liquid works better (if it's a good one anyways) but it comes with risk of leaks and a lot more cost. Air will work fine for any normal overclocking as long as you pick a good quality fan (like the one suggested). If you want to try and set a world record with your OC you will need liquid

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Will liquid be better at increasing the life span of the CPU?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably but I'm sure by the time it would make a difference you will be needing an upgrade anyways. It could also leak and kill your CPU or anything else in there too though

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

What are the chances of it leaking would you say?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

you have the budget and with high-end gaming board ranks pretty high in tests from different websites.

water-cooled systems also have fans.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Bump because of EDIT!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube