PCPartPicker

• Register

Render Blender on GPU or CPU? (1070 or 6600K)

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

HappyHambo 33 months ago

I'm just wondering if it would be faster to render my Blender models on the new PC I'm planning on building by using the GTX 1070 or i5-6600K. I'm certain that I'm getting the 1070 but if it would be faster to render on the CPU I would consider upgrading to a 6700K or maybe even one of the new i7 Broadwell-E CPUs.

Help is APPRECIATED :)

Comments Sorted by:

Acepirer 4 points 33 months ago

Ive been using blender for about 2 YEARS now and i know. Using gpu to render in blender is undoubtly faster ( ive used it ) with nvidia and AMD . However blender cannot use gpu to render some scenes with physics simulations , particle collisions, smoke and etc ( this is where the cpu is used ) this applies to the internal and cycles engine . So if youre just rendering a scene wihout any physics simulations, you are better with a stronger GPU, if u are the kind of person who likes to play with simulations, u are better with a stronger CPU.

Hope this helps, someone please correct me if im wrong. :)

jojobyte 2 points 33 months ago

youre right , but HappyHambo said that he will render only his models so he should go with more gpu power

HappyHambo submitter 2 points 33 months ago

Thanks a lot. I pretty much only make static scenes so I'll probably stick with the 6600K and save them money :)

Acepirer 1 point 33 months ago

Youre welcome :)

Ksongs 2 Builds 2 points 33 months ago

Not quite sure if this helps, but while rendering with Blender cycles render time is a lot faster for me with my GPU (390x) than my CPU (I7 4790k).

HappyHambo submitter 2 points 33 months ago

It does help. Most people seem to find the same so I'm going to stick with the i5 and render with the GPU.

lukeb1216 1 Build 1 point 33 months ago

I suggest doing some research on Google. I have been wanting to learn Blender lately, and from what I've seen it depends. Sometime CPU is better, sometimes GPU is. It all depends on the scene being rendered.

colinreay 3 Builds 1 point 33 months ago

Is Blender cuda enabled? I know for Premiere at least, you get a huge jump over cpu only by going with a decent gpu, but after the HD 7870, you get to the point of diminishing returns for paying more (Vid here.) I'd love to see Brian do one on Blender, and see how it utilizes the gpu differently in different situations.

Here is a good article I found after a google search. It seems here that going for a powerful gpu is a very good way to speed up render times. Another thing to keep in mind is that the 980ti has over 30% more cuda cores compared to a 1070, but then again, I am totally ignorant to how Blender utilizes resources, and the actual increase in cuda core performance in the 1070.

ATXON 1 point 33 months ago

I THINK that it's faster to use the GPU as long as you're using the cycles engine and not the blender engine.

I'm a little unfamiliar with this as I mostly used blender for the video editor and that was heavily CPU reliant.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yk1HyGzgQk

[comment deleted]
lukeb1216 1 Build 2 points 33 months ago

You CLEARLY have no clue on what rendering in blender is. I see you everywhere spreading bad information....only comment if you know what you are talking about.