add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

G3258 Overclocking

Jlove7714@gmail.com

40 months ago

I made a build that is almost at my budget. I threw a G3258 with plans to clock it to around 4GHz. Will my mobo promote overclocking this CPU? Do I need to worry about a CPU cooler? http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6TtpGf

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Use the 860K. Games are slowly starting to get more optimized for more cores and there have already been a few games that can't launch on a dual core. I don't like to use the word future proof, but the 860K does it better then the Pentium. It could be worth waiting for the new AMD CPU's and seeing if they offer a replacement for the 860K.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

games that can't launch on a dual core.

As far as i recall that is only Far Cry 4 (or was it 3?) and that's because of the developers making it so dual cores can't boot. But the pentium can run far cry 4

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Far Cry 4. Watch Dogs also did it. This is more of the devs fault but it's something that can still happen and I feel as if getting the quad core is the best way to combat that. The pentium is great, it's just a matter of when the dual core is too little.

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

That's true and I hadn't quite thought of that, except for the second part of your comment of course. It's not so much that games are becoming unusable on dual core but they are being optimized for more cores.

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Just to add some more MK X and Dragon age inquisition also wouldn't launch with a dual core until they were later patched.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, my friend has his at 4.4Ghz on stock.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube